1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Magazine Awards Finalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Taibi turns a good phrase and is an entertaining read but as far as his overall credibility the jury is still out for me. He seems to have a bit of Bill Simmons in him.

The guy I really I enjoy reading on Wall Street matters is Andrew Ross Sorkin from the Times. He brings a much greater depth of knowledge and research to his stories.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I haven't read Sorkin. I can't speak to his depth of knowledge. But his research is not deeper than Taibbi's. Taibbi has covered the mess from the beginning, and aside from his Rolling Stone breakdowns, he delves into the issue at www.trueslant.com.

Waylon, has Taibbi ever been accused of getting the facts wrong?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's exactly the problem with Outside now. It's a Men's Health for outdoorsy activities. Even Men's Journal has better writing lately.

Sweet Yvon Chouinard, I don't get Outside for fashion spreads on the "Best Blue Jeans under $200." I want stories about climbing K2 or first kayak descents on some unnamed river in China or profiles of people making a difference in the environment or outdoor sports. Not some actor who happens to live in Montana, and therefore knows how to throw a sow bug fly at a trout.

That said, I do still love the annual Buyer's Guide issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted