1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 29, 2007.

?

No viable candidates have been ignored.

1. Troy Tulowitzki, SS (COL)

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Ryan Braun, 3B (MIL)

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. Hunter Pence, OF (HOU)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chris B. Young, OF (ARI)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Tim Lincecum, SP (SF)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yovani Gallardo, SP (MIL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. James Loney, 1B (LAD)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Kyle Kendrick, SP (PHI)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Kevin Kouzmanoff, 3B (SD)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I would have voted for Braun, but Thursday's three-error game was the last straw. Tulowitzki has my vote, Coors Field-aided stats be damned. But check out the stats for Carlos Marmol (if eligible). Talk about coming out of nowhere, this guy is pretty damn good out of the Cubs' pen. How is he not the closer?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tulowitzi, pride of the Dirt Bags!

That said, Lincecum is going to win 2 or 3 or 4 Cy Youngs by the time he's done.

And Loney has had a great season.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I voted Braun, though Pence would have been the pick had he stayed healthy.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow...look at Tulowitzki with the early lead.

I guess everybody finally noticed what a butcher Braun is with the glove. Though I still think Braun's going to get the award.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

How could you have possibly missed CubsSportsJournalists.com talking about Marmol all season?

Braun should win the award, but it's shocking how little consideration Marmol is given for the award. He lifted the Cubs as much as Braun lifted the Brewers. What he's done in the bullpen has been nothing short of phenomenal.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed...though it's easy to miss a middle reliever, even one as dominant as Marmol. I just wonder if they are going to have the sense to let him close next year. I get the feeling that the playoffs could be the showcase where more fans start to notice this kid, kind of like when Francisco Rodriguez was a rookie.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Marmol made 13 starts and threw 77 innings last year. I don't think he's eligible anymore.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Wow, I'm stunned that no one other than Tulo & Braun have gotten votes. I'm leaving Marmol up there anyway, b/c outside of CubsSportsJournalists.commers, not too many people have probably heard of him.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tulowitzki, he of Long Beach State, has been solid for Colorado. Being a Rockies fan, I'm happy -- even if I am also a Fullerton alum.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Uhh ... no love on the poll for Kouzmanoff, he who ranks second in doubles, third in RBI and fourth in home runs and average among all NL rookies? ???

Doc's right: Marmol's not eligible (he pitched 77 innings last year; 50 is the limit.) I'm not sure if Loney is, either (he had 102 at-bats last year; 130 is the limit. But he spent more than 45 days on the ML roster, and I don't know if that disqualifies him.)

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Regardless, Marmol eats pieces of shit like you people for breakfast.

With one game left in the season, here are Marmol's numbers...

58 appearances, 68.1 innings, 41 hits, 35 BBs, 95 Ks, 1.45 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 5-1 record.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because Tulowitzki is ahead of him in every category

Draft saved Draft deleted