1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP -- Final Answer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 29, 2007.

?

This is going to be a tough one: who's the MVP in this league?

1. Matt Holliday, OF (COL)

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both?????

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Tulowitzki may win a MVP award in his career, but it ain't this year. He's not more valuable to the Rockies than Matt Holliday. He's not more valuable than Rollins, Peavy, Ramirez and Byrnes.

I'm not sure, though, the Tulowitzki isn't the Rookie Of The Year, especially if the Rockies make the playoffs. Braun's a tremendous power threat, but it's hard to overlook his four billion errors.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

PhilaYank strikes again by leaving Prince Fielder off the list. Playoffs or not, he brought it down the stretch.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WFW.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hanley Ramirez is way ahead of Tulowitzki, too. But Troy is definitely the best shortstop in the NL West, for what it's worth.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Screw it, I can't please everyone. If there weren't so many other candidates who are on or still could be on post-season teams, Prince would be on. He's got the numbers and he's the team leader. He should have a trophy or two in his future.

But guess what?

The Brewers aren't in it anymore. Meanwhile, you've got at least four players who still have a shot to play deep into October. So quit your whining.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

He might not win the Sliver Slugger award but he is in the conversation
    Tulowitzki runs98 23HR 94RBI .292BA .361OBP .475 SLG, 590 At Bats
    Reyes runs118 12HR 57RBI .284BA .358OBP.426 SLG,704 At Bats
    Rollins rusn136 30HR 91RBI .295BA. 344OBP .531 SL, 666 At Bats

Add in the fact he is playing gold glove defense and he deserves mention.
    I don't see how he does not win the NL ROY he clearly is the best.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm going to save a long-winded diatribe and just tell you to fuck off.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Back at ya, good buddy.

As far as Tulowitzki goes, he deserves to be in the conversation, but there's no realistic way he will win it. Aside from playing on the same team as Holliday and the same position as Rollins, Tulo has the usual home/road splits for Rockies players: hitting .325 at Coors, .256 away.

9. boots

boots New Member

The MVP award goes to the player who is most responsible for his team's accomplishments during the season. In 2007, that award should go to Jimmy Rollins. He has my vote. He's been consistent both on the field and at the plate. He's a good guy and leading by example. He had the award won weeks ago. Now, he's just polishing it up.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That argument is retarded and a half.

My MVP ballot:

1. Prince Fielder
    2. Matt Holliday
    3. Jimmy Rollins

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Some Fielder stats:

Runners on: .280/21/90
    Runners on w/ two outs: .258/5/24
    RISP: .270/8/61
    RISP w/ two outs: .220/1/15
    Bases loaded: 2-for-9, one double, nine RBIs

His OBP across the board is great, but I'm not wowed by those numbers. Sorry. Rollins' numbers aren't the greatest in those categories, either, but he is a leader on that club, too. If it was based just on numbers, Wright has the best overall figures and plays a more difficult position than Fielder.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Prince Fielder led an overachieving team to a division lead for most of the season, with substantial help from Ryan Braun after he was called up. But with a weaker supporting cast he did as much as anyone else. Your selected stats are cute, but the totality of it all stands much higher above that. If he played in New York they'd have renamed the Empire State Building after him by August 15th.

Draft saved Draft deleted