1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nate Silver ("Blogger for Times") joining ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I took that more as a reference to its status during the election, although I guess the sentence is written in the present tense.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do we think of her pulling the 'I'm the executive editor" on the poor shlub trying to set up for an event?

I suppose, that as the boss, it's her prerogative, but it sounded like she could have handled it better.

3. Dick Whitman

I concur 100 percent. That was bad. But it was precisely how she comes off whenever I see her on "Morning Joe."

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But what about writing the perfect country and western song?

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

In every conversation about Silver, the Times seems to be woefully out-of-touch to the fact that the paradigm has changed for someone like Silver. The paper needed Silver more than he needed it. It did not give him a significant bump in credibility, it was the other way around, at least as far as the audience was concerned. Nothing Silver did with the Times boosted his credibility as a statistician. He just happened to have his website run through a portal connected to the Times website during the last election. The Times got significantly more readers, and Silver was compensated. As Don Draper once quipped, "That's what the money is for." Silver knows his brand can and will travel, and the Times seems to think he should have stuck around for less money, in an environment where co-workers were occasionally hostile about his celebrity and his methods, because of some mythical credibility boost he gets from the 161-year rep of The Grey Lady.

All this said, one thing that I think doesn't get brought up enough in discussing Silver is that the statistical modeling approach has its limitations as well, at least as a public service. Horse-race politics is often used pejoratively to describe Silver's detractors, but an entire model that relies on polling and economic data to give you an accurate picture of the electorate is, in some respects, just the most accurate form of horse race politics.

This is where I suspect some of the Times royal class of political reporters, many of whom believe (deep down) they are pseudo-public servants whose job it is to explain policy and help educate the voter, were so angry about his rise. Silver can explain things, and he often does it well, but he got famous because he was good at predicting things. I suspect the Times reporters who disliked him so imagine themselves as the last honorable guardians of the truth and insight in the media. And there is some evidence to support that, like the China reporting highlighted in the Abramson piece. But there is also a lot of stenography, and process bullshit, and hyperventilating over inconsequential gaffes that have diminished any high ground the Times might have had on this point.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's definitely controversial. Without it, we wouldn't have had Karl Rove on election night. I choose not to think of such a world.

But there are plenty of people who still think Silver just got lucky. They're dumb, but they think that.

7. Dick Whitman

More prevalent are those who think he influences the voting, right? So if Nate Silver says that Pennsylvania is going to Obama, other outlets report that, and then voters, who love a winner, fall in line.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Man, those quotes about how important The New York Times is. I cannot believe how many TV bosses think that way, too. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted