1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville update -- EPILOGUE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Mar 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bought Bon Jovi tickets for Ms. Slappy next month in Nashville at the Sommet Center.
    Am looking for a nice place to stay and would like to surprise her and stay downtown, instead of going out to Hickory Hollow area or Brentwood. I'd also like it to be under 200 bucks -- which rules out anything Hilton...

Suggestions?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Nashville question

http://www.unionstationhotelnashville.com/

Never stayed there, never heard of it, but it showed up on hotels.com at $166 a night for a random two-night stay in the middle of April. Without exact dates, I can't help you much.

PM me the dates if you want. I love finding hotels!

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Union Station is nice and a short walk down the hill to Sommet Center.

There's a Courtyard by Marriott downtown and one near Vandy that are also good-n-cheap.

Or you can stay at my parent's house if you promise to mow my dad's yard.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Hampton Inn near Vandy is a lot nicer than I expected and pretty cheap, if I recall. Seemed to be close to just about everything, too.

5. Re: Nashville question

My wife and I stayed at the Courtyard downtown in 2005. Great location. Ryman is right down the street as is Music Row. The food in that area leaves a lot to be desired (other than some pretty good BBQ restaurants). The food's much better near Vanderbilt. You can walk to the Sommet Center, too. It seems to me that your experience might be nicer if you stayed near Vanderbilt and took a taxi to downtown. It's pretty cheap, IIRC.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

That is by far my favorite Hampton Inn. And I'm an expert on Hampton Inns.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I highly recommend the Opryland.

[/still getting over nightmares from winter meetings]

8. imjustagirl

Oh, it fails.

I got my parents a room off priceline when they wanted to come visit me. Ended up at a Sheraton downtown, near my office. They had to move to three different rooms, including one that flat-out didn't have an a/c unit. Just a big hole in the wall to the outside.

Their final room they took just because they didn't feel like fighting any more.

9. imjustagirl

bw, with all due respect, if you tell me I'm getting a room at a 2 1/2-3-star hotel, and that room has a massive hole in the wall and a terrible desk help situation...then you've failed. Either they don't keep up with the status of the hotels they recommend, or something. But that's a failure.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Princess. Since when do 2 1/2 star hotels have walls without holes?

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My wife and I love Hotwire, too.
    That's if you don't pledge allegiance to a specific hotel chain.

12. KoM

KoM Member

I think it's probably the Best Western someone mentioned earlier.... right across from the state capitol building. (if it isn't a Best Western, it might be Days Inn). It's pretty much a plain room, but it's inexpensive and only a couple blocks walk from the show and Second Ave. bars.

Draft saved Draft deleted