1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know some people who went bar-hopping with Chris Robinson after a show back in the 1990s.
    I was told:
    1. He smelled badly. Not as in sweaty from the show but as in hadn't bathed or had his clothes washed in many, many days.
    B. He didn't kick a dime for any tab or cab the whole night.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've never eaten at Jacks, but on hockey game nights there's usually a cart right in front of there that serves up fantastic hot dogs.

I second the Demos love, but I've been trying to branch out from the usual tips I give whenever this thread comes around.

One other thing on Broadway that doesn't take a ton of time but is worth seeing is Hatch Show Print. And in looking for this link I just learned they're moving inside the Country Music HOF later this year (which is almost blasphemy). Definitely see the real thing while you can.

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/our-work/

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just realized that I'm going to be in Nashville during the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

Christ.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hatch's moving is not nearly as sad as the world's best guitar shop moving to a nondescript building in massage-parlor part of town because the owner, shock horror, discovered that Lower Broad is full of people who like to party.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012/12/22/fed-up-gruhn-guitars-is-moving-off-broadway-after-42-years/

5. JackReacher

Wait. There's a massage parlor part of town?

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I hate to think of going to Nashville and Gruhn not being where it is, but I guess I can kind of see his point. Tourists stopping by aren't just going to buy one of his top-end, high-priced instruments just for the heck of it.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Second Ave. South, hard by I-40.

[​IMG]

Granted that isn't a massage place, but it gives you a nice feel for the neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

I've been warned about Nashville strip clubs, but how do I NOT go to that one?

Maybe just one beer.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just to revive this thread ...

I'm going to Austin Peay for a game Saturday but staying in Nashville Saturday night. Will probably be exhausted after driving all day Saturday, but would love a recommendation for a good early dinner spot before heading to Clarksville and maybe a good brunch spot Sunday before heading home. What say ye?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I went here the other night and it's my new fave Nashville place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cabana-nashville

Although usually I say if you have one meal in Nashville, have it here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/monells-dining-and-catering-nashville

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Both menus look outstanding. I hate going to chains on the road. Will give them a shot. Appreciate it!

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Are you driving from the north or south?

If coming in from the north, stop in Clarksville and we can have a late lunch downtown (couple of good places there).

Depending on where you're staying in Nashville, Puckett's isn't bad. We're actually eating there Saturday night before the Preds game.

Depending on how nice you want dinner, Tin Angel is a cozy little spot over by Vandy, and Germantown Cafe is pretty great, too.

If gastro pub is your thing, you can't beat the Pharmacy and Burger Up has good stuff, too. Lots of upscale, hipster type places in the 12 South area, including Burger Up, that serve pretty good food.

Also, Demo's is a family Italian joint downtown that's been there for years. I'm also a fan of 417 Union, a cozy little diner.

Draft saved Draft deleted