1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 25, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As much as I love the Ryman, no way I'd pay that. Are they secondhand? No reason original ticket prices should be that much.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I paid $150 each for two tickets for the wife and I to see the Allmans at the Beacon Theatre in March. Way I look at it, I would never get a chance to see them in a venue that small here in Toronto.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's stub hub. Everything else is sold out.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ah, I see. Guess it depends how much you like the Black Crowes. Is Rich Robinson back in the band?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why not club-hop until you find a great show? It's Nashville, after all ...

6. three_bags_full

The Crowes are one of my favorites, and I've wanted to see them for years.

7. three_bags_full

Rich has been with them the entire time, except for the break-ups.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't put Jack's on any kind of BBQ pedestal but quality of food plus location it's generally my first meal when I arrive down town, get checked into my room and head out for the evening.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Looks like it was supposed to open last summer, but got delayed. Scheduled to open now in early 2013.

In a former upholstery business downtown, 119 3rd Ave. South.

http://www.musicrow.com/2012/11/johnny-cash-museum-preps-opening/

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Then pay the money and go to the show. There's really no other decision to make.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Then go. Easy call.

12. oxfordcrowe

oxfordcrowe Member

The Crowes are one of my favorites as well.

Saw them at the Ryman in 2010 and it was a killer show.

Tix for the April shows sold out within 10 minutes. Saturday is all electric and Sunday is acoustic with special guests.

I was able to pull two floor seats for the Sunday show for $125 total through Ticketmaster.

Normally, I would be stoked about going, but after realizing I would have to juggle so much around with work and with my wife getting a new job it would just be easier to put the tix up for sale.

I was able to get rid of them to a fellow BC fan and now he's trying to score tickets for the Saturday show.

Besides from my work and the wife's new job, I was also pissed about the price of tickets.

I know they are artists and have the right to charge what they want, but I felt like they are just slapping the fans in the face.

Tickets for Bob Dylan and Leon Russell at Mud Island were under $40, any Drive-By Truckers show I've been to has been under $30 and I'm seeing Mike Cooley (DBT) in Nashville on Feb. 9 after paying only $15. Hell, the Alabama Shakes are one of the hottest bands in America right now and they are keeping their cost low at a time when they can jack them up.

I've followed the Crowes since 2001 and have traveled all over the Southeast to see them (I'm up to about 18 shows I think). I don't know if it's because I'm older now and am more concerned with how my money is spent (rent, utilities, etc.), but I felt like the $60 was too steep for a band who have always preached about putting their fans first and trying to stay clear from the corporate stranglehold.

And on top of all that, according to the Crowes board I read a good bit, most fans got shut out on tickets — they could have at least gave up a presale code so it wouldn't have been so easy for the scalpers.

I think the prices of those tickets on StubHub and Ebay are going to come down tremendously as the shows get closer.

If I lived in or around Nashville and was interested in going, I would go by the Ryman the day of the show and check the box office for unclaimed tickets or wait right until the show starts and approach the scalper. Maybe even wait after the first one or two songs to start offering.

The scalpers are not going to get stuck with the tickets and you could possibly get into the show for under face value.

OK, off that soap box.

I second Broadway, 2nd. Tootsies, obviously the Ryman — even if it's just for a tour.

I don't think Whiskey Kitchen has been mentioned, pretty cool place with a huge selection. I've heard good things about the Patterson House as well, but I have also heard that there is no actual sign marking it's existence. It's one of those places that you have to know where you are going to get there — again, just what I've heard.

I second heading out to Franklin. It's only about 30 minutes from Nashville, but a really neat place with a historic square. The Franklin Theatre serves as both a movie cinema and music venue, and they pull in some decent acts. Off the top of my head, I know Jason Isbell and Robert Earl Keen have played there in the past, just can't think of who else right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted