1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 25, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Renaisance is expensive, but close. Stay anywhere downtown. It's all close enough. Be sure to see the Hall of Fame. They have a huge new wing (if its finished yet). Lots of cool Off Broadway spots in The Gulch. And check the schedule for The Cannery Ballroom. There's usually someone good there. The Whisky Kitchen, The Tavern and Verago are all nice, trendy places that aren't bad at all. Same three dudes own them all.

Of course, there's Broadway. That's self-explanatory, but Tootsie's, Second Fiddle and The Stage are where you might bump into fame (I've seen Willie and several others there.). Definitely see anything at the Ryman. Even take the tour. Good stuff.

There's a British pub called Fleet Street Pub down in Printer's Alley that's really quaint. Nice and tucked away. Titty bar across the street. Enter at your own risk.

For a nice meal, Tin Angel is my recommendation. Thank HejiraHenry for that one. Across the street is Maggiano's, which does family Italian really, really well. Try the 12 South area for some trendy, but casual stuff. Urban Grub is recommended by a friend who lives there. Also, the entire Germantown area is really nice, especially the Germantown Cafe.

In Midtown, Pie in The Sky is a wonderful late-night option.

That should get you started. PM me with more info about your group and I can do a bit more tailoring.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We're staying at the Hampton Inn in Midtown on Broadway. Really wanted to stay at the Renaissance again, but it's just not worth the extra coin.

The wish list, so far, is as follows....

South Street, Ryman, Paradise Park, Pie in the Sky, a karaoke bar somewhere, Bluebird Cafe, Flying Saucer.

Really pumped for this trip.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm kind of an oddball in that I've only stayed in the West End by Vanderbilt on every trip to Nashville I've taken.

Great place.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Johnny Cash museum is opening soon. It will be right downtown, not sure on the address, but it's by the hockey arena.

5. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Some solid suggestions here, especially Rotier's and Jack's BBQ. A couple more:

The Pharmacy (burgers, hanging out) http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pharmacy/161286473975768

Hattie B's (hot chicken) : http://www.hattieb.com

6. three_bags_full

Sorry, but Jack's is not good barbecue. One of the very few things Nashville does not do well is barbecue.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can vouch for this joint. Be sure to weigh yourself on the weigh out.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You're right about Jack's, wrong about the rest...Nashville BBQ is vinegar, wet-based and Whitt's is the king of it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/whitts-barbecue-nashville-6

I think the Germantown Cafe is sadly closed after the owner inadvertently locked himself in the meat freezer and was found dead.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have I missed props for Demo's?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jack's is not the best but if your lazy like I am you can't beat the location smack in the middle of broadway.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had a few good meals at Rippy's, right across from the arena. Can't beat the location. Had some nice brews and a good lunch at the Big River Grille too.

When we win Nashville last summer I killed an hour in the Ernest Tubb Record Store too, brought back a lot of great memories of killing afternoons in Toronto browsing the bins.

12. three_bags_full

Speaking of Nashville, the Black Crowes are plying at the Ryman shortly after I get back. Would you pay $200 apiece for those?

Draft saved Draft deleted