1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville Predators moving to Canada? NOPE! Sorry, Canucks (and KC!)...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 23, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Nashville Predators moving to Canada? Sure seems like it...

You're dreaming.

The Manitoba Tories have about as much say in relocating an NHL team to the Peg as I do.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

If Bettman wouldn't let Balsillie move the Penguins when they didn't have any hope for an arena, why would he let him move a team that's well situated in a market the NHL wants? Remember the BOG still has to okay the sale.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Of course, the Manitoba Liberals would be able to do it. Liberals are good, Liberals are great. Liberals are superheroes. I have a man crush on Justin Trudeau. [/jr]

j/k ;D

And we're on for Saturday, btw.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Tories, Liberals, NDP or the Rhinoceros party couldn't do anything about this.

1:00 at Superburger?

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Sorry, I can't see Kansas as a new franchise. I think Canada should get more franchises, especially after what we have seen happen with NBC and the NHL. ::)

Will Kansas name a team the Kryptonites? ;D

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The deal Kansas offered the Penguins is more lucrative than I could see any city in Canada being able to offer a team. They have a state-of-the-art arena now and they're really hungry to get a franchise to put in it. No Canadian city has the facility, and I'm not certain any remaining Canadian city has the corporate community they have.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm not sure I understand the nuts-and-bolts of this one. According to this Globe story ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You make my point for me. Chicago and Boston fans stay away, they know the product on the ice stinks. If anyone in the bun belt eg. Florida, stays away, its because they don't understand the game, have no loyalty, and they don't deserve a franchise because of it.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't see it. Call me a pessimist if you like, but Kitchener? It's almost Hamilton without the size. Waterloo's nice, but it's way small.

What corporate support would there be? Have you been in downtown Kitchener lately? Per capita, it's almost as abandoned as downtown Detroit. In Waterloo there's RIM, Manulife (two big shooters, granted) but what else?

We'll see what happens, I suppose, but I just can't envision it.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Section 13, Paragraph 8, Line 32.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Indeed...Jeremy Jacobs ruined Bruins hockey, which would be very popular if the fans felt like the team gave a fuck about their performance on the ice. There are still a large amount of B's diehards, but nothing like it once was. One reason is there are viable, cheaper AHL alternatives in Springfield, Worcester, Lowell, Portland, Manchester, Hartford, and Providence. As well as some top-notch college hockey at places like UNH, BU, BC, UMaine, etc.

For the record, I'm all for moving perhaps the Preds and Panthers to Quebec and Winnipeg. Canada loves its hockey and would appreciate it more than folks down south. And I think KC would be a perfect location for an AHL franchise.

Draft saved Draft deleted