1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR writer Ed Hinton leaves Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Hinton will land on his feet, but this is daffy. Hinton's stuff, much of it, also ran in the LA Times. This isn't even penny-wise. Somebody will have to cover Daytona, races in LA, Chicago, plus Indy (Brickyard and the 500). Why not a guy who knows his stuff?
    One more nail in the coffin.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

Wasnt his salary divided among Chicago, Orlando (and a third paper I cant recall?)

An above poster is right -- Chicago probably had much to do with his. Hard to believe a paper in the South (as much as you can call Orlando a southern city) would reduce NASCAR coverage.

That said, I imagine it was a likely target. I doubt many higherups understood how passionate NASCAR fans are, and the potential it has for bringing folks into the newspaper. At my first paper years ago, the executive editor made coverage decisions based on what his wife said to him while reading the morning paper. If she didn't like you or what you covered, a move was forthcoming.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even with 364 days to go, we'll be hard-pressed to find a dumber personnel move this year.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i love the bullshit line, "With the increasing demand to produce local news, we've decided to eliminate our national NASCAR coverage and focus more on local sports coverage" -- horseshit. just say it's too expensive and stop lying to readers. maybe that's why we're losing credibility, because the higher-ups in this business keep fucking lying to the readers. the readers can see through that shit and it puts into question everything else we say.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, Hinton left on his own, so it wasn't a dumb personnel move.

It was just an asinine corporate decision. But I am sure that they'll get someone to cover local soccer and hopscotch games that will really drive up the readership.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, considering this was an intraoffice memo, I'm not sure you can call it lying to the readers.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Insane. Moronic.

For anyone who held the pipe-dream that private ownership could be a GOOD thing, well that's that.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Especially in Florida. Behind college football, NASCAR may have the most rabid fan base in that state. I'd imagine Orlando and Miami will still cover the Florida races, but to drop it nationally?

Stay classy, Tribune. Keep those profit margins high. :)

9. lono

lono Active Member

BINGO!

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so lying to ourselves

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's pretty much it... management lying to itself and expecting the employees to buy into it.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Stupid-ass move. I've read Hinton's stuff for a long time -- not as a regular reader, but as someone who knew he knew the sport. Whenever he showed up on one of the talking-head shows, I watched -- I knew I'd learn something.

Would it have been that big of a deal for Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale to absorb the portion of his salary that Chicago wanted to dump? What was he making, maybe $150k tops? Not like he was getting rich off this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.