1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR wire service debut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by espnguy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since this thread started getting off point on my response to a post, let me say welcome.
    Let me also say my inital tirade was not directed at any one specific beat writer/radio/tv person other than one -- the person who dripped elitism by criticising the small paper writer or hangers on and how their unimportant questions werent welcome by the regulars on the beat. You and other regulars were lumped in by espnguy by saying "if you dont believe they're shit on my shoes, just ask the others whose name I know" (OK, I paraphrased a little bit, but the tone is there.)
    Having spent time covering Cup (and some open wheel too) and several other sports, I know there are times a question seems stupid. But most times, its important to the person asking it.
    Yes, I did make shots at the beat guy and free food. It was a direct and continuing response at the arrogant post and responses by espnguy -- not at you, Monte Dutton or anyone else in particular -- but one; the namedropping suckup who kick-started my angry defense of all reporters -- great and small.
    Now, is Steve Shunck still at MIS?

2. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

No, Schunck has moved on to something else. I should know what but I frankly don't.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Well posted, David, especially as compared to the yahoo who started it all.

4. Mira

Mira Member

Thanks, David, for your thoughtful reply. If some of you posters don't know Poole's work, he's one of the best. Check out the Charlotte Observer Web site.

While I don't work at a major metropolitan pub, I've covered a Nextel Cup race once or twice a year for a decade. All the regulars have been professional from what I've seen and heard, and I have a ton of respect for what they do. If I've ever needed help or had a question, the NASCAR beat folks are some of the most helpful.

I've asked good and not-so-good questions. Shoot, I asked a doozy in a phone interview with Ted Musgrave yesterday.

Like any other pro or college sport, there are unprofessional or unkept writers out there. NASCAR might have stereotypes because of its fans, but that's no reason to rip the writers.

BTW, Steve Shunck is Director of Public Relations for Champ Car.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Daivd: Great post. I wish you would've chimed in before Mr. Ego touched a nerve when he decided to dump on the little guys by lumping all of us together as lazy freeloading fanboys looking for a free meal. If I choose to make a move up in the food chain (I respect the hell out of those who have chosen the path that takes them away from their families eight months out of the year -- something I can't bring myself to do), I pray I never forget my roots. I hope the folks at NASCAR don't forget theirs either.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

David,

Thank you.

And welcome - we can say it on this thread, we don't need a whole nuther one.

Please don't be a stranger. More from you would be most welcome.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Getting back on track ... NASCAR team owner Gene Haas was arrested today, as noted on thee all-purpose NASCAR thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/22866/

Wonder how something like this will get played on the NASCAR news wire service? ::)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Accepted and forgotten, dude.. I can be heavy handed as well...

9. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Hey, our little tiff here can't be all bad...brought Poole to SportsJournalists.com! How cool is that?

Now if we can get all the other motorsports people posting under their real names here, we could have a little fun... :D

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

There are fanboy and freeloader types from the high school "operations box" (notice I didn't say press box) to the press facilities at major league events.  I guess I get as ticked at those who take up space in a football box just to get out of the elements as you do at the media centers.  I can see your point, I just didn't like the delivery. I ask that you not lump us all into one group, as I hope NASCAR won't either.

As to the original point. I don't think anyone will use a wire service that is a PR arm for a certain organization, be it NASCAR, The White House or the Courthouse. To me it sounds too one sided and "press releaseish". 

11. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Anyone seen or heard anything on this project. Curious on type of content, how it's available, etc. Not seen or heard of any paper using this stuff and wonder if project died a slow death.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's still alive. Heard their reporter asking questions at the Montoya presser a couple weeks back.

Draft saved Draft deleted