1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR still doesn't get it about summer in Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was snake-bit all weekend with my sports viewing.

1) No fun from my Rangers throughout the weekend
    2) Got screwed up on the Cup race's date -- thought it was Saturday originally and made my traditional summer-Daytona menu for that night instead of Sunday
    3) Set the DVR to record as much of the evening as I could ... but wound up not recording the last 6 laps

Sigh ...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And even easier if you do.

murphyc likes this.
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, don't leave us hangin'--what's on the traditional Daytona menu?

4. doctorquant

LOL ... been doing it for a few years.

For the pre-race
    1) Margaritas
    2) Homemade peach/serrano pepper salsa and chips

For the main event
    3) What we called (in my little hometown) ice cream parlor hot dogs. They're just chili dogs with a beef-only Cincinnati-style chili* and a top-split bun.

I should note this is ONLY for the summer Daytona race. For High Holy Day (i.e., the Daytona 500), I don't have any set menu. It's kind of like the Super Bowl to me, but now that my oldest is off at college no one 'round here ever comes to my watch party. So I've got that going for me ... which is nice.

*Take a pound of ground chuck. Mix it with a fork with a lot of water until it's a really ugly, soupy mess in the saucepan. Then, cook it over low heat until it boils off most of the water. It takes about an hour. In the last 15 minutes or so before it's cooked all the way down, stir in a generous tablespoon of chili powder and a generous teaspoon of ground cumin.

cranberry likes this.
  5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Can it be Cincy-style chili without the cinnamon???

6. doctorquant

Works for me ... although I lean right-wing I embrace diversity! :p

7. I'm not opposed to two races at Darlington, as opposed to two at Daytona or 'Dega.
    I know it'll never happen, but I can dream.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to another Darlington race either, but not at the expense of the two plate tracks.
    Daytona just has that "big fight" feel. The 500 is, of course, the 500. The summer race on July 4 weekend just feels special, like a milestone. It's hard to explain, but it's a nice break from that northern swing that turns into a grind, and a good starting point for the second half of the season.
    Talladega is chaotic, but that's what I love about it. It's the ultimate wild card. Anyone can win there, so it's a chance for an unknown to jump up in the spring and get a spot in the Chase.
    I liked it better in the previous version of the Chase, where it was the great equalizer. Now it's more about avoiding trouble than winning. I still like it in there, though, because it means to win a championship you have to master yet another different kind of track and driving style.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here are some facts: In the 18 years since lights were installed at Daytona in 1998 and the summer race was moved to night, either qualifying or the race itself has been affected by weather delays 11 times, including the last two years. Think that's a trend. How good do you think NBC's ratings were at 2 a.m. Eastern?
    The race was much better when it started at 10 a.m. Over, done and the fans could hit the beach.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was really surprised it was on Sunday not Saturday night. Also, I think the proliferation of night races hurts NASCAR. Maybe not the ratings so much, but the live gate. For obvious reasons, racetracks tend to be in out of the way areas that are a pain to get to and from for most fans. It's a big difference getting home at 9 or 10 after a long day and doing so at 3 or 4, or last night, after stopping for breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I believe Joliet was a night race at one point, and it really makes for a long day.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You mean Waffle House. Cracker Barrels are closed by 10 p.m. on Sundays.

Draft saved Draft deleted