1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR is racist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Story does not surprise me in the least. I do a pretty fair amount of bidness in the Charlotte area and the typical white male senior executives look at race relations as a necessary evil of doing bidness. Do they really deep down believe it - not a chance. If they want to be a nation wide organization its the face they need to show to to the general public.

2. objects_closer

objects_closer New Member

NASCAR won't change, cannot change until the France family is no longer running it. They have some decent "liberals" on the payroll they rolled in to help change their image but they were thrust in a soup of bias and sexism that they can't get out of it. Brian France makes some of the worst sexist statements out of anyone -- not to mention John Darby, Robin Pemberton and the like -- each of which were sleeping with various female officials over the years. The whole sport is disgusting. Mo's lawsuit is one of many coming up the pike -- NASCAR should brace themselves for what's headed there way next.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Some stories on this matter say the suit is for $250M; others say $225M. Anybody know why there's a difference?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If any part of this stuff about Brian France is true, he needs to leave. His gimmicks aren't working, and if he's not smart enough to show respect to employees, how is anyone going to respect him as either a person or the head of a major organization?

Captain Obvious, yes, but still ...

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems to me it's time for NASCAR to ban confederate flags at its events.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Update: two Nationwide Series officials have been sent home from Kentucky Speedway and have been placed on administrative leave for violation company policy. According to JF's story, the duo were among the 17 co-workers named in the suit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-harassmentlawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

1stADD: The two that were sent home — Tim Knox and Bud Moore — were the two that exposed themselves.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080614/ap_on_sp_au_ra_ne/car_nascar_harassment_lawsuit_11

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is that either of the Bud Moore's who were involved with NASCAR in its earlier days?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That could be it. I also noticed that some of the claims are made under NY state law -- I'm guessing that NYS laws are a bit more plaintiff-friendly on sex/race discrimination than Florida and other Southern states.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Little Bud Moore (the long-retired driver) is 66 years old, while the more famous car-owning Bud Moore (no relation) is now 83.

It's possible. Not likely, but possible.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus H. Lake Speed, that's a lot of fucking Bud Moore's.

Draft saved Draft deleted