1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR courting "citizen journalists"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Jun 2, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The release says they'll get credentials and media center access too.

Not that NASCAR could have done anything to stem the tide of the shrinking press corps over the last couple years, but it should have turned the spotlight on itself at some point to see how much of a joke their "access" is.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

So did I.....and I'm a 24 fan, but that was fucking funny. :D

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The hell he is! [/repo man]

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Money.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

"Oh, ho, ho, that's funny right thar, I tell ya whut." [/rednecks]*

*Not really funny, don't want to get in trouble thinking I'm joking about the term fag. Carry on.

6. lono

lono Active Member

That 7.5 shock on the Richter scale that you just felt was David Poole rolling over in his grave.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Once again, NASCAR is on the cutting edge of PR. This might be laughable from a journo standpoint, but I think it will turn out to be a brilliant move from a business perspective.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

How so, Point?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cutting edge? In the last couple years the IndyCar Series has embraced its small blog population to the point that they're at races and in the media centers. It's more of a pre-emptive strike, considering how mainstream motorsports media has been demolished. NASCAR is just finally waking up to the fact that it's not immune anymore.

10. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Given the hundreds of reader e-mails I get each week, many NASCAR fans can indeed read and write. And folks like Ed Hinton, Bob Pockrass, Nate Ryan and the late David Poole -- which represent the main of the writers I work alongside -- are hardly "swallow-the-party-line pseudo journalists." So let's dispatch with those canards right now. This isn't 1985, when every NASCAR writer went home with 10 cartons of free smokes. We are talking about a sports league that allows its official Web site to be operated by an outside company, and allows it complete editorial freedom. Don't see that happening in the NFL.

But that said ... not sure where this latest idea is going. I suspect it's because, with the cutbacks in newspaper coverage, a lot of media centers are half-full these days, and NASCAR is searching for other means to try and get their name out there. Perhaps they're going to try to follow the model used in the NHL. But Mizzou nails it. That's the kind of nightmare scenario that has all of us in the conventional media cringing. And of course, when/if it happens, everybody in the NASCAR press corps is going to be tainted by it.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Can't wait to see the first time Kyle Busch gets asked for an autograph or somebody asks Tony Stewart to pose with him for a picture.

This will not end well.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's OK. I mean, it's not like they'd ever refer to Tony Eury Jr. as "Stiffy" in a press conference setting.

Oh, wait, that happened? By a "real" journalist? Huh.

Draft saved Draft deleted