1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR Awards Ceremony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I've never understood how a sport like NASCAR could hold its year-end celebration in New York City. The Yankees wouldn't hold their ticker-tape parade in Charlotte, but maybe that's just me.

Just turned on the awards while flipping through. Looks like Denny Hamlin got a rental tux for the evening. Someone needs to tell him that for events like this -- clip-on ties are verboten. Even at a NASCAR-sanctioned event.

Also, how far has Jay Mohr fallen that he's now forced to emcee a NASCAR ceremony? Did TomKat turn you down to emcee their reception?

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Um, it's the 26th year the NASCAR banquet has been in NYC.

3. Freelance Hack

I realize that, and that why I said I've never understood. If I thought this was a one-time (or a short-time) deal, I'd have said I don't understand.

All I'm saying is NASCAR and New York City are oil and water. They don't really mix well.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Ah.
    Gotcha.
    I will say, checking the AP wire, that is one bad bow tie. It's nice to see, though, most go with the non-bow tie look. Burton and Gordon look sharp.
    Jimmie Johnson isn't too bad.
    Just saw the photo of Knauss with girlfriend Bruna Oliveira. Wow.
    [I know, this thread is worthless without pics. I'm just not that talented.]

And, just for the hell of it: Jewel. Wow-squared.

5. Freelance Hack

Exactly. I could get three of my fingers between Hamlin's tie and collar. That's a fashion no-no. Even for a rookie. You're a multi-millionaire professional athlete. Dress like you've been there before.

And, just for the record, I don't like the long ties with tuxedos. Just doesn't look right.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

NASCAR and NY like oil and water? How so?

7. Freelance Hack

Maybe I'm just harboring old stereotypes. To me NASCAR is the South -- Darlington, Daytona and Talladega. At its heart, it's a rural sport. And the opposite of rural, of course, is NYC.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I completely agree with F_Hack, but someone smarter than and far more connected to NASCAR than me--line forms to the left--pointed out all the advertisers are in NYC. So putting NASCAR smack dab in the middle of Manhattan is all about the benjamins.

I also thought NASCAR might be up in these parts to move along the plans for a raceway in Staten Island, but there was nearly a riot at the last meeting to discuss the track, so that's probably out.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is all about the benjamins and that's why a few days in New York makes sense. They're not moving their headquarters there, they're having their year-end celebration there.
    And there WILL be a track somewhere in that area sometime fairly soon.

I don't understand the appeal but it's definitely there. This ain't your grandpa's NASCAR any more.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just read in Autoweek that NYC is Nascar's No. 2 TV market, behind Atlanta.

I'm gobsmacked by that. I would have thought Dallas or Chicago would be No. 2.

I also think Nascar would get more attention if they'd hold their banquet in Vegas.

As for the NY track, the aforementioned Autoweek article says the plans to build one on Staten Island are facing all kinds of hurdles, but Bloomberg's a fan and so is the new Guv.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I love how the Staten Islanders bitch about the traffic a track would cause. Have they ever sat on the SIE at rush hour? On a good day outside of rush hour, it might take you 20 minutes to cross the Verrazano.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Staten Island traffic sucks at pretty much any hour of the day.

The stench, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted