1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR agate from AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bulldog Smoltz, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I've noticed the AP now includes in its NASCAR agate following each race both a rating for each driver and an explanation of the rating. Does anyone find this a useful addition to the agate? Granted, I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I never hear fans talk about a driver's "rating" after a race.

2. kevinj114

kevinj114 New Member

Anything to kill agate space.

3. Kind of like the FedEx Cup points they include in PGA agate. I could do without that stuff, too.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, we take it out from every race. It's silly.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's always been there. I've deleted for years, now.

6. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Explanation or not, we delete it too. The only thing that matters in points leaders.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

The race agate and the leaders... ditto, here.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The wins leaders matter now, too, if you're running the standings during the week.
    I leave the rating in the results (too much of a pain to take it out on deadline), but take off the explanation and the money. The money is a big thing. It creates tons of widow lines if you leave it on.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

With all due respect, what "on deadline"? Unless you're running a Saturday night race for Sunday, you should have plenty of time to edit down the agate. Shoot, even then. It's two minutes. And unless you have the explainer, the rating is a meaningless number that should be axed.

EDIT: If you're doing agate and multiple other pages, disregard. I'm thinking of an agateman situation.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I am doing multiple pages in addition to agate, but it's not necessarily a time thing. It's more like an annoyance to highlight one thing, unclick, then highlight another. The NASCAR agate looks like this:

1. (15) Paul Menard, Chevrolet, 160 laps, 104 rating, 47 points, $373,575.

So you end up deleting the money, then moving over the left and deleting another. Not being right next to each other makes it really annoying. The further you get down the list, the more you also have to be careful not to delete the wrong three-digit number.
    It sounds stupid, I know. It just makes it tedious, especially when you have to go in at the end and break up the points leaders into a list instead of the succession of names they have.

11. I just wish the AP would drop the ratings from what it sends. It's just not something that is needed.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. They obviously think it is, and nobody's managed to inform them otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted