1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA Problems Persist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

What's going on with this space station? I get the feeling they're running Windows software up there.

I haven't followed the reports. Is there any sense of near-panic? Are the astronauts safe?

I see that the astronauts are fixing the thermal blanket today. I'm assuming that, if they succeed, there's a chance that everybody goes back in the shuttle. But is there enough room for the Russians?

2. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I dont think it would be that dire to evacuate immediately.

The ISS has a Soyuz Capsule for all 3 astronauts aboard the ISS..

3. HeinekenMan

I read a report earlier today that quoted NASA officials as saying that the astronauts are in no danger. I haven't checked on an update, but I'm sure the story is changing by the hour.

My understanding is that they have power to run oxygen but that they don't have power to the thrusters that keep the space station in orbit. I guess that Soyuz capsule can return to Earth? I don't know the first thing about Russian spacecraft. Jones might have another book to write before all of this mess is over.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Leave the Russians. Take the cannolis.

In all seriousness, what I have read says that they will be fine. The problem is that they have a problem at all. This isn't what NASA needs right now. Far too much money has been lost, with this project and others that are very recent.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

But aren't the problems on the Russian side of things? Not much NASA can do about that.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

True enough. But that doesn't affect public perception. People are going to hear "space" and "hole" and, while Boots will be thinking of his neighbor, much of the public will be staring at NASA and wondering what is happening.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Can we somehow blame Putin for this?

8. Jones?
    Mr. Jones?
    There's something happening, but you don't know what it is.
    White courtesy phone, Mr. Jones.

9. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Neither do the Russians --- according to Space.com, both the thrusters and computers are from their country.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/070615_iss_computer_update.html

Yes.

Godspeed and good luck to the station crew.

[obvious]
    Ground Control to Major Tom
    Ground control to Major Tom
    Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
    [/obvious]

11. HeinekenMan

Thanks. I not only have that song stuck in my head, but I'm about to become addicted to another Web site. I see that I missed that rocket launch today. It was supposed to launch on Thursday. The local paper had breaking news links announcing the launch. It said in the second that the launch had been pushed back an hour. I waited for the launch and saw nothing. And the news site provided no update. Its coverage just altogether vanished.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I wonder if some NASA techie told them, "Reboot, that outta fix the problem."

Draft saved Draft deleted