1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Narron fired in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sam Mills 51, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I have serious doubts that these moves are related ...

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Was Jack McKeon scouting when he returned to managing? I can't remember.

Mackinin was a player in the 70s. That's all I know of him.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I have a feeling Harang will be gone by the trade deadline.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Thanks for calling. Joe from Newport you're on The Big One...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, forgot about the Orioles... but still...

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I doubt harang will be traded... they just resigned him this offseason long term for much less than he could have commanded on the open market...
    And I sure hope they're smart enough to hold onto griffey... at least from a PR stance, trading him would be suicide... Dunn on the other hand as overstayed his welcome in cincy... not sure too many fans would lose sleep over him and his big contract leaving town...

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's Dunn making?

Not that the Twins would shell out whatever it is...

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The Reds will get the most out of a trade with Dunn or Harang. Griffey would garner some talent, but Harang or Dunn can pull in a couple prospects and maybe a MLB player.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did, ummm, the coaching staff get fired too? Not that I'm looking to console anyone [/ijag]

10. Freelance Hack

Harang and Arroyo are both signed through 2010 and I think there are club options for 2011. Arroyo, whom Narron overpitched earlier this season, is showing signs of a recovery. Harang has been what he's always been -- he'll be a solid pitcher for four starts, then have a bad one and then repeat the process. Harang isn't underrated because he's not really an ace, but he would be a great No. 2 behind Homer Bailey.

What has been the downfall for the Reds the past few years has been its pitching, primarily the bullpen the past couple years. The starters are decent enough, but the pen is both very young and very old. That's not a good combination.

11. Freelance Hack

Yeah, the Reds could get a lot for Harang in a trade. But I could get a Sweedish model to ____ me if I had a million dollars. Neither will happen.

Harang is a building piece for the Reds. Dunn's likely walking after this season. Trade him now and you get something to build around Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Phillips, Hamilton, Encarnacion, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and (possibly) Griffey for 2008-2009.

The NL Central is still hideous and with the right bullpen and four consistent starters, the Reds could win it going away next year.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Why wouldn't they want to reload with talent and shore up their future for many seasons by dealing Harang and Dunn? Dunn more so because teams need power bats, and he could likely go the AL as a DH if he's into that kind of thing. Harang could be dealt to the Mets or Braves because they will need to bundle up some arms for the upcoming race.

Draft saved Draft deleted