1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naperville Sun sports clerk

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by badger1998, Oct 22, 2007.

1. badger1998

badger1998 New Member

The Naperville (Ill.) Sun, a regular APSE award-winning daily newspaper located about 30 miles west of Chicago, is looking for a part-time sports clerk.

Clerk will work 30 hours/week and must be available to work nights and weekends (Fridays in fall and Saturdays during high school season). Duties include entering calendar items and youth sports briefs for publication as well as helping with AP roundups; beat coverage and feature writing also required.

This is an ideal job for a recent college grad looking to get a jump-start on his or her career.

Please email resume and 2 writing clips (1 coverage, 1 feature) to Sun Sports Editor Brad Nolan at bnolan@scn1.com.

2. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

HA!

I'm literally two days away from moving to take the gig in Hanover, Pa., and this job just happens to pop up near my hometown of Buffalo Grove.

But this is only a clerk position, whereas the Hanover job is a full-time staff reporter. Don't get me wrong, I hear good things about the Naperville Sun, but I'd much rather be full-time than part-time.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

These are kind of lofty qualifications for a part-time clerk position at a 20K.

I think a North Central College student would be more realistic.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In an ideal world, perhaps.

With the current state of the business, they'll get a college graduate who is willing to swallow their pride to get a foot in the door.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Then you better be either independently wealthy, or have a second, full-time job. Naperville ain't cheap.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Errrr?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

SCN = Suburban Chicago News

8. badger1998

badger1998 New Member

For those concerned about financial limitations w/ this job - to be honest, some of this is legit.

Unless one has another source of income - another part-time job, steady feature freelance work, spouse w/ high paying job - and/or is lucky enough to be able to avoid generally high cost of rent by sharing apartment or is originally from the area and can handle living with their parents, surviving in the Chicago area on this job alone is very difficult.

Should note - 2 of last 3 clerks had some of the above circumstances working to their favor and were able to survive for about 18 months each. Then, both were promoted to full-time when spot opened up and today still work for the paper or the company.

There's no guarantee that will happen this time - but it probably will.

9. Don't know how far along they are with this, but for what it's worth, I give this my seal of approval. I've been freelancing for them since last year, and they are good people to deal with. And the editors there actually do a good job of editing your copy. But badger is right. Surviving on that job alone in the Chicago area will be very difficult. Don't have have any illusions of living in Chicago and commuting because with the price of rent (even sharing), gas, tolls, car insurance, etc., you'll likely fail. Unless you get a part-time job and work about 4-5 hours before commuting into Naperville. That might work.

10. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

This is a great first job for a kid out of college. You could line up a part-time job for 15-20 hours a week and be OK. It's a growing paper in an area that continues to boom in population - experts predict that by about 2012 Chicago will surpass Los Angeles in traffic congestion unless the city and outlying areas does something drastic by then to improve flow. And you can get by with a part-time job plus this gig. There are townships around Naperville with affordable housing, cheaper so if you rent with someone.

11. thegoat

thegoat Guest

"It's a growing paper in an area that continues to boom in population"

Previous statement couldn't be more off the mark. Less than three years ago, this paper had a daily paid circulation of 20,000+ ... last numbers I saw had it barely at 14,000; I know circulation numbers are down all over the place, but this is a huge drop, especially when you're really the only game in town for local news.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Maybe they added a Food section, and that's what they mean by growing.

Draft saved Draft deleted