1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naming names regarding grades issues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stupid, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

Well, to answer several questions, I was the desk guy and let it go because it was the SE's story. I thought it was a little strange given he usually won't name a player who makes an error or fucks up in a game.

The thing is, like some have said, it's hard to get around writing about the loss of the 2 biggest offensive players, one of whom set a school record with 300-some rushing yards in the playoffs last year, and not name names. The only way I could see doing it without looking foolish is if the story states that it is our policy not to name names regarding academic issues but we don't have a policy like that.

Anyway, our ME told me today that we're not in violation of any federal privacy act and he didn't think the coach was either, since he didn't give specifics, other than the players in question were ineligible. Either way, I guess the paper is not on the hook for anything but perhaps a lack of discretion.

And Tom Petty, now that I know we're not at fault, I will relay that sentiment if I'm questioned by the principal.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

In the same story, the coach told our SE that another player was probably transferring to a private school to play basketball and our SE didn't mention him by name because he didn't have confirmation. he did say the coach said another starting WR could possibly transfer to Snooty Private Academy but that was it.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That's a tough call. You could use disciplinary reasons or team rules, since academics is could be part of the code of conduct for the athletes, but academic reasons is certainly more accurate. I don't know. Certainly, I don't think you can write a story without mentioning those players may not play.

I like Stupid's latest answer as well. Academic reasons could mean a number of things for a student athlete, not necessarily a marks issue. The marks weren't divulged, so the paper is probably within its grounds there.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'd wait for them to actually become academically ineligible before printing anything. Right now they're "in jeopardy" and the coach is apparently loose-lipped enough to speak about it if they can't make the grades.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I haven't had to deal with this for a while, but am aware from the past of the problems this law creates.

But if we say simply that "Player X and Player Y are ineligible for academic reasons," with absolutely no specifics, are we really violating that law? I read the law, that's kind of a gray area.

Or not.

Take it a step further: "Player X and Player Y are ineligible." Certainly people will assume the rest.

We haven't even used the words "academic reasons." A violation?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can print basically any fact we can get our hands on, no?

The coach screwed up by saying this to a reporter. There is no onus on the reporter to keep quiet about it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

B Ut the coach also said they were in jeopardy of being ineligible... not a storyu until they ARE ineligible.
    And then youo cover yourself by saying "According to coach padded stats, two shits are academically ineligible."

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is a good point. This info probably shouldn't have run until something actually happened that would cause them to miss a game.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've been in this situation. Coach violated the law, reporter did not. Parents/principal need to come down on the coach. And the reporter needs to be prepared for next time, when coach won't say jack squat about two stars who aren't playing.

But as a reporter I would have stopped short of giving details such as "didn't pass summer school" ... "Academically ineligible" is all you need to say.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks stupid, you and i both will feel much better in the end. :D

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

If it is true, and lawfully obtained, you can print it. Since it is lawful to speak to people to obtain information, there are no legal problems for the newspaper with printing this.

Side note: If you were a player who was academically ineligible, wouldn't you rather see that get reported than see that you had "violated team rules"? I mean, at least it's the truth, and at least it doesn't make you look like a bad apple. I sometimes don't understand why coaches twist things the way they do.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Is this attitude just because it's high school kids? If that's the case I guess I can see where some of you are coming from. If not, I'm sure why people are acting like this is printing a rumor; the coach, the person with the most authority to speak about anything regarding his team told this to you on the record. And it's not like you're besmirching the kids. It's the coach's responsibility to protect their privacy, if he doesn't, why should we?

Why would you wait until after they don't play? So the competitor can get the story too? This is an opportunity to break story, no reason to wait around.

Draft saved Draft deleted