1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names people just don't have anymore...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ethel

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know another Debbie besides HC.

Worked some years ago with a Norma, who was much younger than me. Another woman in that company was from Michigan and her parent's neighbours were Eunice and Virgil. Don't hear those names much anymore.

Had a kid on our team a few years ago named Howard.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ralph
    Harold
    Frank

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

My dad's parents (born in 1902 and 1906) were Samuel Delbert and Abbie Lee. My grandad went by his middle name and I've met only one other Delbert in my life.

My dad's generation (born 1927-33) was Donna Jean, Clarence Wilburn and Luther Weldon, who goes by his middle name. Their spouses were John Quincy, Winnifred and Barbara.

The grandkids (my generation, born 1949-66) were Nancy, Melissa, John Quincy III, Stephen Clarence (Steve), James Henry (Jim, don't ever call him James), Mary Ellen, Samuel Weldon (Sam, who is forever thankful he didn't get stuck with Luther Delbert) and Robert Edward (Rob).

The great-grankids (first one born in 1977, most recent one born last year) include Jed, Ross, Abby, Corey, Emily, Andrew, David, Katie, Jack, Henry, Virginia, Caroline, Jake and Eli. Ross' daughter Elizabeth, the first great-great, was born just three weeks after Eli, the latest great-grand.

5. AD

AD Active Member

frieda. haven't met a frieda since 1967....

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sorta like that with my RL first name. Not to the extent that I'm going to go apeshit if you call me by that and you're not a member of my family or *ahem* romantically interested, but I will make it very clear that I prefer the common shortened name.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my favorite George Carlin rant:

And i'm getting really sick of guys named Todd.
    It's a good fucking name OK.Hi whats your name?
    Todd.I'm Todd. And this is Blake, and Blaire and Blaine and Brent. Where all these goofy fucking boys names comin' from. Taylor, Tyler, Jordan, Flynn. These are not real names. You wanna hear a real name? Eddie. Eddie is a real name, what happened to Eddie he was hear a minute ago. Jackie and Johnny and Tommy and Bill. Danny, Larry, Johnny, and Phil. What happened? Todd.
    And Cody, and Dillon, and Cameron, and Tucker.
    Hi Tucker, i'm Todd. Hi Todd, i'm Tucker. Fuck Tucker, Tucker sucks. And fuck Tuckers friend Kyle. Thats another soft name for a boy. Kyle.
    Soft names make soft people. I'll bet you ten times out of ten, Nicky, Vinnie, and Tony would beat the shit out of Todd, Kyle, and Tucker.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Lucy....which is my niece's name.

Her sister is Lila Grace. She was supposed to be Ruby, but my brother-in-law couldn't get used to it.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Effie, Madge and Mabel and Biddie
    See them on the beach
    Or in New York City
    Tina, Louise and Hazel and Mavis
    Can you name, name, name, name them today

Wanda and Janet and Ronnie and Reba-o-o-o
    These are the girls of the USA
    The principal girls of the USA

O-o-o Kate, Kate and Cindy and Crystal and Candy
    Mercedes and Joan, Betty and Brenda
    Suzie and Anita and Phoebe and Jack Jackie-o
    These are the girls of the USA
    The principal girls of the USA

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Don't see too many young people named Esther, Ethel, Edna, Ruby, Ruth, Barbara, Pauline, Murray, Francis, Merle, Brian and Glenn.

My grandfather, born in 1891, was named Max. There are at least another half dozen Maxes buried near him at the cemetery. The name disappeared for boys born in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but has made a comeback.

Sidney has gone from a name for an old Jewish man to one for a young girl.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

For the Canadians ... Gord.

Draft saved Draft deleted