1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nadal and Sharapova already done at the running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Nadal already done at the running Wimbledon thread

BTW: Fuck my man Marat's retirement tour. Guy shoulda just retired last year instead of hanging around. One match is not enough to satisfy me, dammit!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Both. Henman was never the favorite, but you have to have more than just luck going for you to reach the semifinals four times. And being a serve-and-volley player certainly helped. For him to win it would have been a reach, but, heck, when a country hasn't had a winner since 1936, the media will grasp at whatever straws it can get.

Murray has never gotten past the quarterfinals, where he got dismantled by Nadal last year. So until he gets to that spot, we really can only guess how he would react to the pressure. I can't totally dismiss that as a factor, however, not in London.

I think Murray's best chance to win a Slam will come on the hard courts at either the US or Australian Opens. Entertaining match against Robert Kendrick today. Murray served very well but Kendrick showed a lot of moxey to hang in.

With the exception of one men's match that was suspended, the entire first round got played in two days. Can't ever remember that happening before at Wimbledon.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You realize he's No.3 in the world right now, right? And the only reason he got Nadal in the quarterfinals was because of his ranking a year ago, right? And that he's likely going to make at least the semifinals, right?

He's 22, and just beginning to reach his potential. That he reached the quarters at the French this year, and then won Queen's Club proved that. As I already pointed out, he's already won more ATP singles titles than Henman ever did.

There is absolutely no reason why he can't win Wimbledon this year, or in future years.

4. sportschick

GB, remember who you're talking to there. He's not the most informed poster on any topic, even the ones that involve sports.

Murray is a much better player than Henman, and most of us realize that just by watching him (even if he does look like a hobgoblin). As I said in something I wrote earlier this week, either he or Roddick come out of that side of the bracket, and if it's him, he's pretty much owned Federer in his career (last year's U.S. Open is not indicative of how well he plays against Fed.).

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, we'll see. I would be willing to make a wager, but not sure how that could be done on here.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wednesday update: Former champion Maria Sharapova looks like a qualifier, trailing Gisela Dulko 6-2, 3-0 on Centre Court. Can't serve, can't hardly get the ball in the court against a player who won just a combined three games against her in two previous meetings.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No sooner do I write that than Sharapova wins six straight games to take the second set 6-3. More a case of Dulko choking big time than Sharapova doing anything spectacular. Will be an interesting third set.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

In all honesty I thought he already retired. Did he have a ridiculously hot woman with him?

9. sportschick

He might as well be as poorly as he's playing.

They never showed his box (God, this sounds dirty), so I don't know if he had a hot girl with him or not. Last I read he was hooking up with a Russian pop star who was almost as hot as the girl who left him for the owner of Chelsea.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Dulko is really trying to blow this one.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Yes that one was the hottest woman in the history of the world. On a scale of 1-10 she was a solid 194.

Meanwhile I'm liking Sharapova's little bit of fight here. Not really in shape for a deep run at a major, but she's still a fighter. I know you can't stand her, but I thought she's done well for herself considering how one dimensional she is.

12. sportschick

Sharapova's like Serena. You can't give her an opening like this. She's got such a killer instinct.

Draft saved Draft deleted