1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nadal and Sharapova already done at the running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Re: Nadal already done at Wimbledon

I like Roddick's chances.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He's had a good year. I'm not sure he can get past Murray, especially if goes long. I don't know if he's as fit.

EDIT: Total brain fart. Sorry.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I can't see anyway Federer doesn't win Wimbledon now.
    That doesn't mean there won't t be a lot of great, compelling matches to watch.
    But when you really come down to it, unless Djokovic has a great touornament, I can't see anyhone else challenging Federer.
    Murray is not there yet and the crazy Brits will put a ton of pressue on him. Roddick, reborn or not, is still Roddick, always a step short.
    It's now Roger's to lose.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You heard it here first: No way Murray wins Wimbledon.

The pressure will get to him the same way it did to Tim Henman.

I agree with MizzouGrad: Men's tennis has been a two-man show for about three years now. There's a reason that either Federer or Nadal has won 18 of the last 20 major titles.

In rethinking this, I just wonder how bad Nadal's knees are. If there was any way, I suspect he would have tried to play Wimbledon, then skipped the North American hard court season, which is even more demanding on the knees and which isn't his favorite to begin with.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wow, you're right, you are the first and only one to pick someone other than Murray. I mean nobody picked Federer at all to win.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The Roddick thing was a bit of a joke, although I do think he has a good chance to make a deep run.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JC - you are becoming a borderline stalker. Use the button if you must on the guy but quit with the pickpickpick on every daggone post he makes.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think he can make the semis. He's a very, very good grass courter. He's set to play del Potro in the quarters, and del Potro hasn't been to a grass final and he's been playing very well this year. I don't see why he wouldn't make a good run.

Course he is Roddick, so he could get bounced in the second round too.

If Murray makes it to the final, he's got a shot at knocking off Fed, even on grass. I think Fed's only beaten him twice in eight or nine tries.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know what the greatest thing Murray has going for him as opposed to Henman?

Murray doesn't give a shit about the expectations other people are putting on him.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe, it's just different with a Brit at Wimbledon. Is Fred Perry still the last British male to win? Gosh, that's freakin' unbelievable for a country that supposedly cares about tennis.

Roddick's a one-trick pony with his serve, but he can milk for more at Wimbledon than anywhere else. Roddick and Murray are in the same quarter of the draw, right?

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

We using this as our official Wimbledon thread?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My bad. I saw that Roddick is in the top quarter of the draw, where Nadal would have been. And Murray is in the second quarter, so they would not meet until the semifinals.

Draft saved Draft deleted