1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nacho Libre stinks!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 16, 2006.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Let me defend Roger Ebert, one of the few who critiques movies the right way. His best-of lists really match mine, and I find myself coming to the same conclusions about movies he does.

First, he abhors the star system and has said he'd scrap it if not for the insistence of his bosses.

Second, he has always said he judges movies not on "what" a film is about, but "how" it is about it. He sees movies through the prism they are intended (i.e. Garfield is rated in relation to children's movies, Lake House to romantic, time-travel drama, etc.) and judges them individually, not compared to one another.

You must read an Ebert review to fully understand why a movie works, or doesn't work. Unfortunately, he has this nasty habit of spilling plot points in his reviews and I never read them before I see a movie -- which coupled with his self-despised use of the star system proves maddening at times. (You can't read the review before seeing the film, but can't trust his stars, either. An entertainment Catch 22).

I loved "Napoleon Dynamite," yet found "Nacho Libre" dull and labored. Lots of jokes that felt rushed and not fleshed out.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Movies have been horrendous this summer...

Da Vinci Code was OK, but nothing special. Same thing for MI:3. The Break-Up was horrendous. Poseidon was horrible.

How about some decent fucking movies? I can only wait so long for Snakes on the Plane!

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Prairie Home Companion isn't the greatest thing ever made, but it's pretty good Altman, which is more than good enough,
    these days . . . and parts of it are hilarious, esp. Reilly and Potboy

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's hard to say, but he flew over Nacho Libre.

Over Nacho Libre?

No, I don't think I'll ever be over Nacho Libre.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Saw it last night. The movie flags at some points but Jack Black is still amazing in it. Amazingly esquelito is a Mex ringer for Ned Sneebly.

YHS, etc

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Totally agree.

Best movies of the year so far:

Prairie Home Companion
    Slither
    Inside Man

Sad when a cheesy horror film is second on your list ...

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Saw it Friday night...I liked it. It's not as good as "School of Rock", but I liked it more than "Napoleon Dynamite"...of course, I was a wee bit drunk when I saw it and I'm a big fan of Jack Black and Mexican wrestlers...a Mexican wrestler in a suit is always good for a chuckle. And the woman who plays the nun is luminous.

Draft saved Draft deleted