1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NAACP leader outed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Such a shame that an inspirational civil rights activist wasn't able to control her own narrative, and come out on her own terms like Catlyn Jenner and Miley Cyrus.

I just hope her story can be an inspiration for others in her situation who remain in the closet, and I hope she is brave enough to take the heat that will be headed her way.

A controversy is raging over whether a prominent Washington state civil rights activist and Howard University graduate who claimed she was African American is actually white.

Rachel Dolezal, 37, is the president of the Spokane NAACP and has claimed to be the victim of a number of hate crimes. As questions were raised about the veracity of some of her reports this week, a white couple from Montana came forward to claim that Dolezal is their daughter.
    In a telephone interview with The Washington Post and others, Lawrence and Ruthanne Dolezal of Troy, Mont., said Rachel Dolezal is their daughter, and that they are Caucasian.

“There seems to be some question of how Rachel is representing her identity and ethnicity,” Lawrence Dolezal said. “We are definitely her birth parents. We are both of Caucasian and European descent — Czech, German and a few other things.”

The Dolezals provided The Post with family photos of Rachel as well as what they said was her birth certificate.

‘Are you an African American?’ Why an NAACP official isn’t saying. - The Washington Post

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is what I was wondering.

Why does Bruce Jenner get to decide that he's a woman, but Rachel Dolezal doesn't get to decide that she's black. She's a black woman who happened to born in the wrong body.

Jeff and heyabbott like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw this story this morning. ... It made me smile. I thought it was a fantastic milestone when as a country we elected a black president. It has to be another milestone when you have white people who want to be black to the extent she does. I'm sure Chris Rock would have a few jokes about it.

4. YankeeFan

5. Dick Whitman

She's not white. She's black. #CaitlynDolezal

6. YankeeFan

I'm guessing African-Americans will be as welcoming of her identification as some feminists were of Jenner's.

7. Dick Whitman

The equivalent would be if an unemployed Rachel Dolezal decided to be black by wearing baggy pants and gold teeth while bustin' caps in people's asses.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and we will be just as rightious and rightiously indignant

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wow. White skinned woman builds her entire identity and career around being black---Howard University, NAACP Prez, professed victim of hate crimes, etc.--and nobody bothered to check up on it til now? Wonder if I could pull that off.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Here are photos of her when she was a kid. Back them she was half Latino / half Asian.

[​IMG]

Jeff and Mr. Sunshine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted