1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MySpace snags another one: HS baseball players kicked off team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Dec 21, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wildcats dismissed from team after MySpace controversy
    By KEVIN HAGELAND, Staff Writer
    (Created: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:34 AM CST)
    | Text Size | Print Version | E-mail This Story
    Advertisement
    Although MySpace is often used as a means of social networking, the popular website is now at the center of a controversy that has resulted in the dismissal of at least two players from the Plano Senior High School baseball team.

Seniors Brandon Shaw and Colin Hatzmann were dismissed from the Wildcats Tuesday afternoon in connection with comments made on MySpace.

Shaw said a fraudulent profile for Plano head baseball coach David Allen was created four-to-six months ago, where various players would leave comments about the team and more specifically, the coach.

“I’m not going to lie, some of the comments were kind of mean,” Shaw said. “But we weren’t trying to be hurtful, it was just a spoof. The things we were doing were all in fun.”

None of the comments could be specifically recalled by anyone involved in the incident and the comments have since been deleted from the profile.

In a document acquired by the Plano Star Courier, Allen said, “Brandon’s involvement as well as comments on myspace.com is a violation of our Student Code of Conduct and as a student involved in extra curricular activities, they are held to a higher standard.”

Allen later confirmed that he had written the aforementioned letter.

Shaw and Hatzmann, as well as two other players from the team, were called into a meeting as individuals and a group with Allen and Plano head football coach and athletic director Gerald Brence Friday.

Brence declined to comment on the situation.

Shaw and Hatzmann received confirmation of their removal from the team Tuesday afternoon.

“I have so many emotions going through my head at the moment. I’m mad, sad, heartbroken and worried about my future,” Shaw said. “I think we were treated unfairly and I’m going to appeal.”

The appeal will have to be made to Dr. Doyle Dean, according to the letter from Allen, but no further details were given.

Shaw also said he felt as if his father Ron Shaw was treated with disrespect in the meetings, a statement that Ron Shaw was quick to confirm.

“I think Allen is manipulative and he is a liar,” the elder Shaw said. “I am sick of the good ol’ boys network running roughshod over all of Plano sports.”

Allen could not divulge the names, but confirmed that more than just Shaw and Hatzmann would be dismissed from the team. Allen’s only other comment was, “Everyone is upset about the situation.”

With more than two players departing the Plano baseball team, what effect will this have on the rest of the team? Although several current Wildcats had strong opinions on the situation, they did not want to use their names for fear of reprisal.

“I know some thing were said that shouldn’t have been, but this punishment is not really fair. I even think a suspension would be too much,” one Plano baseball player said on condition of anonymity. “Our coach always talks about making the playoffs, but it is going to be really difficult without those two guys. I don’t think he realizes how big of a hit this is going to be.”

Another Wildcats player added that if the team were allowed to vote on the situation, the vote would be unanimous to take Brandon and Collin back.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had a basketball player around here who got kicked out of his Catholic school over the summer for some of his myspace comments... He never mentioned where he went to school and talked about his bitches and his 420 and his boozing...
    And his pictures included one of him in the Catholic High School shirt -- which was enough to have the school say "C-Ya"

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I think the French have a word for students who get into situations like this "FRAGILE"

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I thought that was Italian .. "Fra-jeel-leee"

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I guarantee at least one of these morons is drafted by the Mets, who will then profess ignorance when provided proof of the draftee's idiocy.

Lastings Milledge? We had no idea he liked to fuck 12-year-olds!!!!

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its all about responsibility and standing up to it. Stand up for what you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted