1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My worst day yet as a journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

If that's your worst day, you live a blessed life.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So, you get paid to go to games and stuff?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If your worst day as a journalist doesn't involve a severance check, you're doing better than most.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Could be a tie. I started a thread on this earlier, but mine was last night.
    Had to write a massive Canada Games roundup chronicling the efforts of our local heroes -- a bunch of kids who finish eighth and 10th in sports nobody gives a fuck about.
    That puts me behind. So I'm late pulling together the major league roundup. About that time, our system goes into slo motion. Every time you hit a key to do something, it looks like you're losing the whole page. That takes an eternity. By the time I've done that, I'm already late.
    And, with the system at glacier like efficiency and three columns of agate to process, file by file, the decision is made to dump agate and throw in a full page filler, which makes me look like a complete incompetent, not just to our management, but to the entire city.
    I'm getting set now to go in and face the music, and likely a similar situation tonight.
    FML.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're doing more work at that school this year, you or your editor need to call that SID during some down time soon. Whole lot of things there that he/they need to sack up and improve.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If I were covering preps in this day and age, I'd get a wireless internet card even if I had to pay for it myself. The peace of mind would be worth it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here's what I got from your post Football -- your high school has an SID?

Otherwise my thoughts and I will sound like a dick.

1. Never eat at Jack in the Box
    2. Be prepared before you go. That means checking your wireless passwords and such and making sure your cellphone is fully charged and that the photographer knows where to send the photos.
    3. Pay for the damn program.
    4. If the wireless is off, I would have told you to drive to the nearest McDs or Starbucks and file from there instead of taking your dictation.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A wireless internet card is like $15 but you need to have wireless. You can get a cord that would let you send via your cellphone. Or you could get a phone card that would cost at least $30 a month. Probably more like $60.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sorry, but this thread pisses me off a bit...

In the last year or so, I know of a writer who was let go the day after his newborn child was released from the ICU.

I also know of another who was let go by phone one day and had to drive eight hours round trip to return his computer and phone the next day.

But enough about that, bitch about your prep tab.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's HIS worst day, Mizzou. Not the worst day in the history of journalism.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did the SID do anything positive for you?

I would of assaulted them by the end of that night. Half of your problems could be directly traced to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted