1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My work is done here" -- head of CBC Sports bails out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double J, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

She presided over the gutting of CBC's once-mighty sports department which has lost, among other things, the broadcast rights for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancover. And now Nancy Lee is leaving for greener pastures.

Are you ready for this? She's now a top executive with the group that will oversee the broadcasting of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

Toronto Star story

I'm curious to know how those who are left behind feel about this -- are they happy she's gone or pissed off that she's landed on both feet?

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr J,

To Ms Lee(d),

Mission Accomplished.

You're doin' a heckuva job, Nan!

With her in charge, Vancouver 2010 will have all the production values of Rogers Cable 10. Curling will probably be radio coverage only. They'll likely break away from overtime in the men's hockey final for opening round coverage of the women's wheelchair ski-jump.

YHS, etc

YHS, etc

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Jesus, she and Parkes of the CCA are responsible for that whole curling debacle. CBC should have canned her ass back then.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

What was the deal with the curling association fiasco? I read about Lee's departure in the Globe and Mail on Wednesday (just visiting Toronto), and was curious as to how CBC somehow screwed up curling coverage?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

For however many years, TSN covered the round-robin of the Season of Champions events (Scott, Brier, Olympic trials) and then CBC stepped in for the playoffs on the weekends. CBC wrested entire coverage (a move completely botched by Canadian Curling CEO Dave Parkes) and then announced two draws a day (was it two? if memory serves ...) would be aired on its digital cable network, Country Canada. Now the good curling fans of Canada (average age 65 ;) ) FLIPPED.
    It wasn't bad enough they were losing the dulcet tones of Vic Rauter and Linda Moore and stuck with Don Whitman, Joan McCusker and Mike Harris, but now they had to pay to watch their beloved curlers?
    And when fans refused to buy Country Canada and TV ratings plummeted, CBC pretty well told the fans 'tough luck.' Even though Ms. Lee was also in breach of contract with the CCA, because the network was significantly under the minimum air time.
    I seem to recall one of the big games even went longer than expected and CBC pulled a Heidi.
    It was a debacle and I know I've forgotten a few things but that's pretty much the krux of the matter. There were threats of lawsuits and what-not but TSN is now back in business, in a shared effort again, I believe.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, since I'm not in the business anymore, I'm not really sure what's happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted