1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife's car was stolen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 21, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Go to the Chevy dealer and find out how much it would cost to buy the exact same car right now. Get them to do an official printout.

Insist that your insurance company pay you that amount to replace the car. You won't get it, but it will let them know that you know what you're doing and you'll get more $$$ from them. The opening offer for my car from the insurance company was $3,000 and after I did that with the dealership, I ended up getting $7500.

Granted, I think you have to wait 30 days until they'll declare your car officially gone. I hope you had a clause in your insurance that gets you a free rental car. I had that when my car was stolen and it saved my ass.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Also, and I mean this in all sincerity, be thankful that it was stolen and that you weren't carjacked with the baby in the car. The criminals might not have given you the time to take the carseat out.

3. Mizzougrad96

After my car was stolen I got it back a few weeks later and I was surprised how shaken I was to be in it. Someone had taken a knife to my dashboard to get the stereo out and there was no shortage of damage that was clearly done just for their own shits and giggles...

I was so relieved when they totaled it. I did not want to have to drive that thing again after it had been through that.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I think I found the listing ... Rather, I found a vague listing.

I knew someone here would give me brilliant advice. And yes, we have rental reimbursement ... $30 per day up to $900. So basically 30 days of rental.

So ... I hadn't considered that. Shit, that makes me light headed.

5. Mizzougrad96

Just remember that whatever the insurance company offers the first time you talk is just a jumping off point. It's all a negotiation. A lot of people take the first offer. A lot of people are stupid.

The insurance company doesn't know the condition the car was in when it was taken. I just remember that with mine, I was arguing so much with the agent that he said, "That car was not worth that much." and all I wanted was $6,000 for it and after a few calls he had gone from $3,000 to $4,500. I went to the dealer and the replacement was $8400. The replacement also was nicer than the car that was stolen. I just kept saying to the guy. "You have to give me replacement value, and this is what it will cost to replace it..." Then his offer went all the way from $4500 to $7500.

It's possible your insurance agent will play nicely. More than likely they will not.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

They found it. More details to come.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Glad they found it. Hopefully not too jacked up and if it is, I hope the insurance company gets you good money for a replacement.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

First, Moddy is off the hook unless his appearance is now that of a 20-year-old black male of low intelligence. From what I've seen of Moddy, he only fits one of those descriptors.

The story ...

St. Louis PD has a theft recovery department. Their job is to look for stolen cars, run plates and nail the assholes that pull this shit. (Side note: This sounds like an awesome job, btw)

So when they ran the plates for our truck and found it was stolen, they set up a stake out. Watched the car. Shortly after they set up, out comes a 20-year-old black male, not a care in the world. He jumped in the truck and started to pull away. Typically, they box the vehicle in before it gets out, but this guy managed to get through and start a police chase.
    STLPD blew out the tires -- not sure if it was with spike strips our not -- and the truck pulled off to the grassy part of the side of the road and through a fence before it stopped. The asshole jumped out and ran to the nearby Hostess factory. He hid under a semi trailer.
    Police found him.
    HERE'S THE BEST PART!
    They tased the son of a bitch! Knowing he took a ride downtown in a pile of his own piss and shit ... *sigh* *grin* that's karma.
    That news really brightened my day.

We meet with insurance tomorrow, and we'll learn of the condition then.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Glad they got that Ding Dong.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmmm

I'm not black
    I'm not 20

So that leaves. *** hey WAIT!!

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He was seen exiting the home with a pair of Ho-Ho's.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

God damn, Buckin', that is awesome. That's the kind of story that has to make you happy your car was stolen in the first place. Taserific.

Draft saved Draft deleted