1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My turn to rant: Lousy SIDs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'll get this out of the way early and then procede to rant. There are some truly awesone SIDs that bust their butts and do a great job. I love you guys.

But I believe the worst Division I SID is the guy I deal with on my beat. The football season opener is just a couple of days away. He still has not produced the weekly game notes release with a two deep, a roster with accurate numbers or anything else. No releases at all since camp opened other than one scrimmage report. The media guide is still waiting to be be printed because "they might change some of their numbers around."

On the athletic department's web site in the football section, there has been exactly one update since June 22 when he announced an assistant coach hire. The roster button still gives you the info from the 2005 team and obviously does not include the new recruits or changes on the coaching staff. The school just installed a spiffy new artificial turf on the practice field and installed a new video screen on a massive new scoreboard. There is no mention of this info on the website for fans or recruits to take a look at.

At the conference media days, he was leaning against the wall laughing at the other SIDs as they typed up releases and updated information on their websites with laptop computers. I guess he was at the meetings just for the breakfast buffet and the free golf because he did nothing else except make loud jokes that were not funny. The school I cover has yet to post the preseason coaches or media polls. There is no mention of it anywhere on the site. If I were a fan of the school, I would have to go to a different school in the conference's website to find some info on the preseason polls.

And he wonders why we will not be traveling with the team on road games.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing to add to the rant. I empathize...

I was just struck by the ads under your post. My gut instinct tells me that the ad for "Arizona Cardinals tickets" isn't the best possible ad to get people to actually click.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Does this mean he has no assistant SID? Sounds like he should be looking for student help, at least. Scary situation and I, too, empathize.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I, too, empathize. This guy sounds like he'd be right at home in the SWAC, where their SID of the year a few years back didn't put out a football media guide until November, regularly answered "Was that today?" when you showed up for a pre-arranged interview with a player, never brought players in for the postgame press conference but did allow the school president's 8-year-old son to ask a question once (thank god it was an afternoon game), and devoted a full page in the media guide to his own bio (the head coach got half a page).

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

he has two assistants. The women's soccer and volleyball stuff is up to date on the website. Still no media guides, though.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sounds like two other people should be in line for a promotion and one guy should be demoted or told to walk home from one of these road trips.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

He's been there for 30 years or so. I've asked my editor to write a letter to the athletic director complaining about the lack of information coming from the information director.

I mean, he's a guy that when I call and ask to set up an interview -- you know, standard operator procedure when dealing with college coaches and athletes -- he asks why I didn't just call the coach or player. As if bothering him to set things up is against the rules.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm pretty lucky. I've got pretty good guys to work with. The most useless guy in the world just got an AD job elsewhere. He wasn't a bad guy -- liked him personally -- he was just useless as a SID.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Granted, it's not D-I in football, but my life's work has become setting up some kind of trust fund for the families of SWAC beat writers who have had to deal with those schools' respective Sports Information offices.

Or complete lack thereof.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Or Purdue University ringtones.

Seriously, there are some good SIDs out there. I'm lucky one of the ones we deal with is a distant cousin.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

When I first saw this thread, I thought I read "Lousy STDs"

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's one SID in my neck of the woods who completely refuses to answer e-mails, calls, etc. I've asked several times to be on their e-mail list for releases, and have yet to see it bear fruit.

Oh, and they mailed their season football pass to us four days before the season began, which means it's too late to mail it to my correspondent, meaning I'll likely have to drive it to him.

Can't stand that prick.

Draft saved Draft deleted