1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my top 15 for now...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 9, 2006.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I thought that the first rule of journalism was to not make yourself the story

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

please...

1. when you don't play as tough of a schedule (especially in conference play), you have a much better chance to finish undefeated, and undefeated teams are who are rewarded

2. just because the best team plays in conference x, doesn't mean conference x is the best confernece

3. shot, don't get in dooley's way when he's railing against the sec. the sec is to dooley what islam is to poindexter

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In defense of Whitlock, the title of the thread does contain those two little words "for now"
    meaning everything could change after Saturday.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I'm still picking up my mouthpiece from that hit...

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Rutgers has earned the right to be Top 10.
    They just shut out the No. 3 team in the nation in the second half, outgaining them as well.
    They've defeated common opponents by larger margins than the teams listed ahead of them.
    They're undefeated.
    They're in first place in a BCS league.
    They've got a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate on their team (Rice will finish in the Top 3-5 in the Heisman voting).
    Even after tonight they should still have one of the best scoring defenses in the nation.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A) FJ, Auburn shouldn't be anywhere near striking range of a BCS title shot since it isn't playing in its own league championship game and the team ahead of it still has just one loss as well.
    B) Fuck the SEC. I am so sick of hearing the whining about being the best league in the land, although I did enjoy hearing the sheep stroke out on talkradio today over a story that had the Big East rated as a better conference than ther SEC.
    Five great teams? No. A couple of very good teams along with a couple more pretty good ones? Yes. But this is a league where Bama becomes bowl eligible by playing Hawaii, Florida International, Duke and La. Monroe; perenial bottom feeders Kentucky and Mississippi State (which won't be bowl eligible butdid beat Bama), a better-than-normal-but-still-bad Vandy team and a Georgia team that is sinking daily.
    Too many haves inflating their records on the have-nots.

7. HoopsMcCann

i don't think there's a single great conference out there this year

but year-in, year-out, i'll take the sec

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do you people keep feeding this insufferable asshole's already massive ego?

Who gives a fuck about your top 15 or top 25, Whitlock.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's only if you buy into the SEC iconography, the type that gives masterpiece status to the Ron Higgins column. A conference with Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Mississippi State being in a state of suckitude virtually every year, South Carolina and Arkansas being in such a state most years, and Alabama being in a down cycle now doesn't have that big a claim of being some mythical thing. And as slappy pointed out, the SEC teams schedule as many patsies as any other.

And let's take what remains of the SEC: Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Florida and LSU. By what standard can you possibly say those are any better than Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Texas Tech? Or better than USC, Oregon, Cal, Oregon State and Arizona State? Or Virginia Tech, Florida State and Miami (in most seasons), Boston College and Georgia Tech?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the first week of Sept. There's a reason games at the end of the season mean more than those at the beginning.

11. HoopsMcCann

you conveniently forgot georgia in that list, which would add another... (hey, if you put georgia tech in there, uga has beaten them the last five years, so i guess it can go -- of course, i guess you don't count them, since they don't play anyone -- well, except for one of your powers you've mentioned)

arizona state? haven't won 10 games in 10 years. oregon state has 5 losing seasons in the last 10 years.

texas tech? what have they won exactly? texas a&m? 35-36 since 2000 coming into this season. nebraska? nice name. been ok, of late. but nothing better than ok.

va tech? solid top 25 program. hell, top 15. florida state? have been great and dominated that conference -- well, until now. miami. sure. georgia tech? well, they have lost their last five against georgia. i know that doesn't count as out-of-conference wins for the sec, but do they count as out-of-confernece loses for the acc? i get confused onthe complicated 'don't play out of the conference or far enough away' rules

so, in short, my answer. sure.

12. HoopsMcCann

which i guess is the reason cal is two spots ahead of tennessee -- but that's right, sec teams don't play anyone outside of the sec, so i guess it doesn't count

Draft saved Draft deleted