1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My tale of identity theft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hey, didn't you see in the Knocked Up thread.... you aren't supposed to curse so much.

It's unrealistic.

Sorry about your ordeal, but tremendous account, as always.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The only security code I have ever had to enter for a credit card is the one on the back of the card.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm thinking "the net" was comprised of an adult era Augustus Gloob and perhaps some sympathetic umpalumpas, a.k.a. Norm made it up (at worst) or made a mundane situation much more than it really was (at best).

Air Canada never let me know whether the dude was arrested or not, my guess is not.

And as far as Visa or MasterCard crediting my purchase, this was my debit card, so I have to go through the bank.

4. WS

WS Member

I went to south Florida to cover a game.

Three weeks later, I make the drive towards middle Tenesseee. I stop in Verbena, Ala., to get gas and use my debit card. Apparently, at the same time, someone in Fort Lauderdale was spending around $1200 at Wal-Mart and Macy's.

I got to a restaurant in huntsville and to my hotel in Tennessee and my card all the sudden didn't work. Thankfully I had backup with a credit card. A lady from my bank had called my house and left a message saying what happened. I got the message, called her, and she said Amsouth would refund my account. She had cut off the card when she realized I couldn't be in Verbena, Ala., and Fort Lauderdale at the same time.

God Bless her.

5. That's what you get for flashing your gold card at the Manitowba Stripper Emporium. I hear Candy with the big hooters can read numbers upside down while leg-locking the pole.

I'm just thankful Mrs. Write-brained has forced me to shred all documents for years or else some identity thief would be encumbered with my credit card debt ... wait a minute ...

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've never had a problem like this, and I pray I never will because I would go apeshit.

One time in college, I get our telephone bill and notice a huge, huge, huge amount. Puzzled, I look at all the long distance calls. We had been charged for two calls totalling 70 minutes to the Dominican Republic. After asking my roommate if he knew anything about (stupid question but had to be asked), I called the phone company and told them that we were not paying for those calls because we didn't know anybody in the D.R. Lady apologized, credited our account and said, "These things do happen."

They do?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Right. And Bubs still has his card.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

It happens with the phone company has outstanding bills it needs to pay.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I got yo number, beyotch!!!!!!11111oneoneone

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

good point bbam, i thought his card was stolen.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

when i lived in idaho i went on vacation to oregon and washington mutual shut off my card because they thought it had been stolen. it was a nice gesture except it hadn't been stolen and i had to argue with them to turn it back on. they told me next time i went on vacation i should let them know when and where.

12. You must have spent a lot of money. I spent a bunch of money on a multi-state vacation and the bank stopped my card until I contacted them and confirmed it was me. I suppose it was nice of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted