1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My state smells like ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My wife grew up across the road from 40,000 cattle in a feedyard in southwest Kansas. She says the flies were worse than the smell.

My parents lived in Liberal, Kan., for a while. Sometimes when I visited there, the stench from a packing plant would punch me in the face when I walked outside. Folks who lived there would say, "They must be burning blood today."

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Then there is the non state specific smell of a skunk that got run over...

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A fourth smell for my state. Spring Grove, Pa., has a huge paper mill in the middle of town. Overpowering aroma.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If your parents lived in Liberal, then they have my deepest sympathy. What a hideous hell hole of a town.
    I know all about the burning blood.There's a huge packing plant around here that has a tannery in it. You can smell the odor of burning hides for miles.

5. Jordan Hansen

Jordan Hansen New Member

cattle manure and hog confinements

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

McPherson's a great little town.

Skunk spray is wonderful for clearing my sinuses. Don't mind it at all.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

With all great respect to the farmers who feed the world and my ungrateful self, I never want to visit Kansas now. It sounds like it would violate treaties to keep POWs there.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

People here have mostly been talking about Southwest Kansas, which is loaded with feedyards and packing plants. You aren't going to get the same kind of aroma if you're hanging around KC, Wichita or the Flint Hills. Even where I grew up, cows far out number people, but the smell is fresher because it's largely pasture land and wheat fields rather than feed lots.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't know that Illinois has a smell, but the stench of Decatur makes up for the rest of the state. It's bad enough to drive through that I can't imagine growing up there.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Back to the north/south debate: South Florida is three counties: Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. Fort Myers is not South Florida. And the University of South Florida is most definitely not in South Florida. How it wound up with that moniker is beyond me.

Anyway: for cities that smell, I will submit in a vote for Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The cereal factory there makes the town on some days smell like the world's largest bowl of Cap'n Crunch and on other days smell like musty socks.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Keys aren't South Florida?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Culturally, I think they're almost their own little world. Closer to South Florida than Southwest or North Florida, certainly, but not quite the same.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted