1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Small Wal-Mart Victory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pete wasn't the only person in the store who could have asked the woman sitting on her ass to help them.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it was a dick move. Others do too. You don't think it was. Others don't either.

Agree to disagree.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good enough.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

My "3 Rules for Building Sales", that I share with my managers:

1. Be Open
    2. Have Something to Sell
    3. Don't Make it Hard to Spend Money

Easy.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Went to the grocery store the other day and was the seventh person in a line that quickly went 12 deep. ONE LANE open. (This place doesn't have a jewelry department, so I couldn't avoid the line ... *wink*)

Anyways, they opened a second lane. The people in the first lane just stood there. Didn't move. I waited 15-20 seconds before I jumped in the other line. I skipped over 5 people ... I'm not going to wait all day for someone to decide to move to the newly opened lane.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Bingo! She was STANDING BEHIND HER REGISTER DOING NOTHING! She wasn't cleaning glass, polishing jewelry, stocking shelves. SHE WAS AT HER REGISTER. And, not previously mentioned, there was not a single customer in the fucking department.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here's my argument to that: I think everyone has important shit to do each day and night. And no, mine's not more important than yours, for instance. But why would you or anyone else want to stand in line when you don't have to? If you and others want to be suckers and stand around while some lady, who now we know is a lazy, lying woman with attitude, doesn't serve a single customer? It blows me away that people just sit there slack jawed in line when there's a person and register ready, willing and able to serve you.

And not to mention, I had five items, the woman I was originally behind had two, and there was no "express lane" open. They are there for a reason, no?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This thread is hilarious. .

Going shopping at Wal-Mart a month before Xmas and whining about waiting in line and crappy customer service is like going to McDonald's and bitching there's no silver cutlery or linen napkins.

Want low prices and no waiting? Try shopping online.

9. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

I have a different Wal-Mart story.

My son wanted to get a new phone since his was not working very well. We went by the AT&T store, and with an "upgrade" available on my wife's account, we were eligible to purchase a phone he wanted for $125 (not counting a $50 rebate).

Problem was, that the woman said they would have to disable my wife's iphone. So she would have to start from scratch and be out any money she spent to add applications.

That's all they could do, blah, blah, blah after a half-hour of going over the options. Even their cheapest phone was $70.

Son said he had seen some at Wal-Mart. They had the same phone he wanted for $48 if you sign a two-year plan, but we were eligible for that with our upgrade and they didn't have to do anything with my wife's phone.

So good for Wal-Mart. Not so good for AT&T when you have to jump through a bunch of stupid hurdles and can go elsewhere for a much better deal.

Oh, and I bought some paper and batteries and had the phone clerk person check those out, too!

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think some people just get jollies by being assholes on here and love to rip someone to feel good about themselves. And some people also need to lighten up.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I get it. Patience is a virtue. Putting others before yourself is a virtue. Noble sentiments both.

That said, I fail to see how PI is the jerk in this situation. I'd have done the same thing. All those other people didn't have to choose to stand in line, but they did. Any one of them could have noticed the jewelry register devoid of customers and then opted to be rung up there. They didn't. If you feel sorry for the $6 an hour jewelry cashier, that's your right. I'd submit that she didn't have to choose to work at Wal-Mart, either. But she did. And since she works there, it's not too much to ask that she actually work, rather than running away when she sees a customer approaching.

Chastising PI for thinking that his time is more valuable than that of others is wrong. His time is more valuable to him because it's HIS. He's not responsible for managing other people's time. He has to manage his own. And, it could be argued that he didn't make someone else wait longer because he went the route he did. He doesn't stand in the lemming line, so the next person that walked up after him was saved, I dunno, 90 seconds or whatever, because PI wasn't there.

There is a lot of disdain on this board for Wal-Mart. I'm surprised that PI's victory, while small, didn't draw more sympathy.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My grandmother used to say, "If you buy a ticket to the circus, don't be surprised if there are clowns."

We eventually ended up putting her in a home.

Draft saved Draft deleted