1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Small Wal-Mart Victory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Wrong IJAG. It's store policy to be rung it any available register. My wife, before she was my wife, worked at a Wal-Mart in college. And the manager said tonight, she could and should have rang me up and out.

If by what you're saying, I could pick up condoms in the pharmacy part of the store, a drill in hardware, a necklace in jewelry and video game in electronics and be forced to pay for them all at the front of the store, despite all four areas having registers.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

You've already proven that.

So let's try it this way .. some other customer did what you did. And just as he's getting back to the jewelry counter with the manager the force the girl to ring up his huge $65 purchase, you're walking up to buy some jewelry.
    Now, YOU have to wait in line for the asshole who was too impatient to wait in a regular line.
    What do you do then, beat up everybody?

And your $65 purchase is kind of like a penny to Wal-Mart.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That woman is still in customer service. And if she isn't busy, she should be helping get people out of the store quicker.

It happens like that at other stores.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

At other stores, like box stores? Or like department stores?

Because it's two different worlds.

Fact is, any manager who is so pissed off he would actually say "OK" to someone going to another store is obviously fed up with someone who's being dickish.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You showed Wal-Mart!

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

IJAG's right.
    Pete, what you did was basically say your time was more vaulable than the people who waited in the proper checkout areas. It's similar to being the sixth person in line and when someone says a register is open, jumping there ahead of the people in front of you who were waiting longer. You're probably the same type of person who doesn't properly understand how to merge in heavy holiday traffic.
    Customer service is one thing; humany decency is another. If you were a decent human, you would have asked that manager to open another register or make sure the people who were waiting in front of you were served.
    And I'm willing to bet your trip to the desk and back took as much time as simply waiting.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Did you read the thread Rhody?

I made it out faster than the lady I was originally behind.

I asked the manager to open more lanes.

He told me I was right, I could have and should have been able to checkout at that register.

And, if others had lined up at other registers, which they're allowed to do as I, my wife (a former employee) and the manager all have said, then instead of 24 people in two lines, there might be 24 people in five lines and everyone would have left faster.

But, as I said, the woman, whose job it is to check me out, refused.

If you went to a movie and wanted popcorn and the person refused just because they didn't want to work, you wouldn't go to a manager?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

She wasn't right to "refuse" you, Pete.

But you weren't right to act like your time was worth more than anyone else who had to stand in line. The store "could" add more registers, but the fact is, it didn't. My mom has worked the jewelry counter at department stores and warehouse stores, and I can tell you that they have no obligation to serve you as a cashier unless you're there to buy jewelry. Obviously, if there's no rush, someone in hardware or jewelry can conveniently ring you up the same as anyone else.

But if there's a rush and she helps you, then that just opens her up to three more assholes who want to skip the lines because MY TIME IS VALUABLE, DAMMIT! And as IJAG said, how is she supposed to help a customer who comes over to look at actual jewelry -- i.e., doing her job -- if she's got three people in line because they, too, demanded to use that register?

You were partly in the right because of the way she treated you, but it's still an asshole move, dude.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Or, Pete took the initiative to look for another quicker way to pay.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does it make you an asshole if you check out through lawn & garden? Because that's the only way I can stand Wally World in December.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what if you just leave through automotive without paying?

Draft saved Draft deleted