1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My "Slap Shot" book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

TIFF and the annual hockey game would be a natural. I've already suggested it to Wiley....hopefully we can make it happen.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't apologize....great line. :D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

An excuse for your much delayed Toronto roead trip.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Don't forget to have a signing at the Onondaga County War Memorial in Syracuse (site of Paul Dooley's radio moment/the fight with the crowd). AHL's Crunch still play there and while I haven't been there in 10 years, I have no reason to believe the interior looks any different.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

You believe right and that would be a great place. I know there are a trio of fans who dress as the Hansons for almost every game.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Well, if petrol drops below 75 cents a litre, maybe?
    Of course, I now have a Tim's within a 10-minute drive, so do I really have to come to Canada?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Apparently it's every game, and they played a part in the Crunch's recent retirement of No. 7 in Paul Newman's honour.

Check out this link for a story and photo.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Holy cats, those are the same people who dressed up for every home game during the Crunch's first two seasons.

Obviously it was after Newman's death because they had expressions of sadness on their faces.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When St. Petersburg got an open-wheel race a few years ago, SPTimes columnist Gary Shelton interviewed Newman and said something like "you know, this is where the Chiefs were moving to." Newman appeared puzzled for a split-second then laughed long and loud.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's a great anecdote. I'm taking it. :)

By the way, I think there are a lot of shysters in Florida.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You know, I can only hope Gene Hackman looks half as fondly at being best known to millions as Norman Dale as Paul Newman did to being best known to millions as Reggie Dunlop.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I spoke with an entertainment writer who was interviewing Newman when he was doing the press rounds for "Road to Perdition." She happened to mention to him that "Slap Shot" had long been her favourite movie, and then he started regaling her with story after story after story, so much so that her time to speak with him almost ran out. Finally, his publicist cut in and said to her, very snidely, apparently, "So when are you going to ask him about his new movie??" My friend got the impression that, if not for that, Newman would have happily talked about "Slap Shot" all the live-long day.

Draft saved Draft deleted