1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My "Slap Shot" book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

they've got cameos from Messier and Gilmour. So at the very least you can look forward to the depth of their acting ability.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Leslie Nielsen is in the new one too.

They're also hoping to remake the original and, if possible, film it in Johnstown like the first one. A script has been written by the guy who wrote "21," the card-counting caper.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A remake is a bad idea but that never stopped Hollywood before.

I remember reading in his Playboy interview years ago that Slap Shot was one of Newman's fave movies because nobody expected much from it other than the people involved. I saw Newman once at the Toronto Indy and people were hollering at him as he speed-walked thgrough the crowd. I heard at least two guys yell "Dunlop, you suck cock!"

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did he acknowledge the shouts, or perchance yell back, "All I can get"?

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

How bad an idea is a remake? The mind boggles.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Did not yell back but he did smile.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

If nothing else, it'll hopefully keep the original in the public eye while my book flies off the shelves. Hopefully!! :D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

All I want to know is where Wiley is going to have the launch party up here.

HHOF would be OK.

Or schedule it during TIFF around the Hollywood Hockey Gajme.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

JJ, I hope you have a long tour of shitbag minor-league arenas planned for your book launch. The one I went to in my early, early days, L.C. Walker Arena in Muskegon, Mich., would be a good place to start.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One of the worst ideas they've had since the writting of the sequel.

Seriously one of the big draws of the original was the 70s setting and stykes, because it fit the style of the game then. It doesn't work now, especially with the crackdown of violence of any kind in the NHL and the mionr leagues. The thing is Slap Shot was at least slightly believeable for the time, that these types of characters could emerge from the depths of pro hockey. Now a days not even close.

11. Msaint

Msaint Member

Hearing about this book makes my nipples hard as little rocks.

(Sorry.)

Congrats, Double J. Can't wait to check it out.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Party? Someone say party?
    I'll bring the Tim Bits.
    And a case of Labatts.

Draft saved Draft deleted