1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Reaffirmation That I'm In The Wrong Business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My wife works for a bank. She's a teller. Ok, head teller. So she oversees three other tellers and still performs teller duties herself.

Anyway, yesterday, she received a three per cent raise and her annual bonus: More than $2,000. For being a teller.

Know what we got? Nothing. Not a card. Not a gift certificate. Nothing.

Our raise in January, as per our collective agreement? Less than two per cent.

Unreal.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Lots of people aren't getting raises, or paychecks. Could be worse.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Very, very true. Which is why today we spent some of that bonus on toys we donated to a mission I'm fond of in town.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am 42 and make $7.36 an hour while putting myself through college.

Pick your battles.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Of course, we all know I am not in the business, so I really can't comment here.

But I'm just saying ...

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

There's a lot people these days who find themselves "in the wrong business", I'm sure.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, but even in good times, Pete's situation probably wouldn't be much different I'm afraid.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's why she wears kneepads.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Exactly.

This isn't new. It's just magnified during a recession. Journalism/newspapers couldn't/wouldn't do it in the best - ok, average - of times.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I got a 3 percent cut this year. And with all the furloughs going around, I consider myself lucky. You should too.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We had a salary freeze this year, and another one is all but certain for next year.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Seriously. You have a job. Be grateful. When I was employed, I didn't get a raise for 4 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted