1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My paper can't spell careful right in a headline and sky box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The topic line pretty much says it all.

Our policy is to have the reporter or columnist write the headline and this columnist, who I imagine is in his 70s, thought careful ended with two Ls and the desk didn't catch it.

This cityside columnist makes so many mistakes which make the paper, but is respected nationally. Elected officials and presidential candidates court him and return his calls, hoping for favorable mentions and avoiding criticism.

I think our paper makes more than its share of errors like that, but the publisher does not seem to care. (I've brought this up with him.) If advertisers stopped advertising, his country club friends criticized him or elected officials and candidates stopped returning and taking his calls, then changes would be made. But since those things don't happen, nothing changes.

Because the paper is distributed free of charge, circulation pressure won't lead to changes.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The paper is distributed free of charge ... your readers get what they pay for.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think your paper should be more carful.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Plenty of good folks work for papers that are free. ;) That said, many of the less experienced writers and editors at such products aren't as carrrefulll as they should be. Now, if we're going to start talking about typos in graphics ...

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

:D

6. daily I am at had some kind of story about some discount being offered somewhere
    Graphics department when they put the teaser in the skybox to this had their 'O' key in discount malfunction...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn, that is rich.

8. boots

boots New Member

SHIT HAPPENS.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dyepack to the white courtesy phone, please. Paging Dyepack to the white courtesy phone.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Two weeks in a row during football season, the desk royally fucked up the weekly feature story on my beat, mispelling a word in a pull quote one week and mispelling the dude's name (!) in the headline in another. On a colleague's story, they decided that a "marquee matchup" would turn into a "marquis matchup." Seeing as Jason Marquis was not pitching and the Marquis de Sade wasn't swashbuckling or whatever he does, it made no sense.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe the teams arrived in a fleet of Mercury Marquis.

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The word development was also misspelled in the headline and skybox with an E inadvertently added between the P and M.

A letter to the editor pointing out these mistakes was run in the next issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted