1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My own dumb computer help issue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zebracoy, Apr 13, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was browsing the Web tonight - I think I was actually on this site - when I got a Microsoft Windows error that said something about C++ and that Internet Explorer had to shut down.

Paying it no mind and thinking it was a standard error, I hit OK and continued on.

But then when I went to load up the Internet again by heading to the Start Menu, Internet Explorer was missing. I went to Program Files and it was missing from there, and I even did System Restore back a month and it's still missing.

Thank goodness for having Firefox, or I'd be completely without Internet access.

I've run every type of spyware scan possible - Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes - and McAfee, which I have installed, has given me nothing. I figure it's got to be some kind of virus, though, because my computer has been running slow for quite some time.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I think I'm going to just have to re-install Windows - not so much for Internet Explorer, but to get rid of what might be lurking altogether.

Thanks in advance.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

C++ is a programming language. I have NEVER seen this before. If this is truly a virus, get it to a professional ASAP.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Was it something along the lines of this?
    Code:
    C++ Runtime Error - Internet Explorer 7
    This program has asked the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    If this problem persists, please contact the application's support staff.
    Are you using Google Desktop/Toolbar or some other IE add-on? Sounds familiar. That was your second mistake.

Uninstall. Reboot. Reinstall if desired.

(First mistake, of course, is using Internet Explorer. Nobody should use any version of IE.)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ever.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yeah, I understand, smartasses. That's not the point of the problem.

The point is that something's trying to prevent me from accessing the Internet, which means it doesn't want me removed.

I don't care what your preferences are. I care whether or not someone's had this issue before.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Dude, the first two responses to you were legit responses.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I just told you what your issue is: gakked-up IE add-ons.

Seriously, IE is full of security holes, lags behind Firefox's feature set and suffers from a godawful case of code bloat. And it's full of security holes.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I love Firefox, but not for SportsJournalists.com. I zip around here on IE. It takes forever for pages to load whenim on SportsJournalists.com on Firefox.

Draft saved Draft deleted