1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My local paper...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sure, but there's a lot more to read than what's in the local paper. I don't mean to knock them; there are some good people there slaving away day after day. I'm just honestly not all that interested in the content. And, as said, can read it online.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

10-4. Douchebag comment retracted.

RB

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had zero clue what my paper cost until recently. We got some half-price payroll deduction when I worked there and I never thought about at all. When I went to VCU, they paid and my copy became our work copy so I had no idea of the cost.
    I get my first bill. WHAT??
    No thanks. I'll read it for free, print my coupons and save money. Hate to be that way but if my choice is paying or getting it free, I'll take free every time.
    My old paper is down to 133,000 daily - a drop of 34,000 over this week last year. Stunning.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, Moderator, that's a huge drop for one year, even in these economic times. No wonder the execs are crapping in their pants.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. And sending out indians left and right. Lots of layoffs since December. Sad, sad, sad.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

At my paper, if you're old you can subscribe and get a year's worth of papers for next to nothing
    A change was made and that rate went up a dollar, and one of the local blogs just ripped the shit out of us because we were stealing from the old people.
    Honest to God, the rate went up a dollar and the response was pretty staggering.
    Newspapers are in a no-win situation right now. I'd get the hell out, if anyone else was hiring in any other field.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I got a decent deal with the WaPo when I moved here in January...something like 6 months for $25 bucks. Seemed worth it to me. Not sure how much it goes up after the first 6 months. Guess I'll find out pretty soon.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in three nights a week during prep season, rarely on Saturday night for Sunday and haven't been in the office at night since early May -- won't work a prep slot shift again until mid-late August

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yeah, duh. I forgot what time of year it was for a second there.

RB

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

It's amazing the lengths to which papers go to keep customers but not employees. Every subscription is so precious, but we're a dime a dozen.

Hmm, I guess I'll replace "amazing" in my original statement with "sad."

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Man, I wish my newspaper would do that. We're a podunk daily with half the subscription levels we should have for our coverage area, the rest going to a daily 200 miles away that barely covers our town.

Meanwhile, our managing editor has taken to tracking down and virtually yelling at every person who leaves a negative comment or e-mail. *sigh*

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't know if our people would consider any kind of incentives or discounts. If it isn't a gift subscription or holiday special, the rate is the rate is the rate. Take it or leave it.

It may be because the paper is so small that we can't afford to give a discount. We made a profit in May and that was only because we quit mailing the shopper to every house and put it into the regular Wednesday edition instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted