1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My local paper...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 20, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sent me my six-month bill today.
    It went up 17 bucks from the last bill. The same bill a year ago went up 13 bucks from the previous one.
    Never thought I'd do it, but I'm not renewing. 76 bucks when it was 45 18 months ago isn't worth my time and tight budget.

2. spud

spud Member

If it's anything like the price restructuring our local rag just went through, they're not doing themselves any favors. Charging the lifers more than the newbs?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Just call them and barter.

My mother keeps telling me about how her paper is so expensive "compared to the old days," yet when she threatens to cancel, she's able to get rates like $20 for three months.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it's what I'm thinking...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I usually just go back to the press and grab one.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Seriously, if you call circulation and tell them you're thinking about dropping the paper, they'll cut you a deal. And what they can't take off your bill, they can probably hook you up with a grocery-store gift card or something along those lines. They're not letting subscribers go easily these days ...

7. bmm

bmm Member

The major metro in my area has went up nearly 50 percent for subscriptions in the last year. If one of my folks didn't take it and I looked at it when I went over, I doubt I'd take it. The diminishing quality of our products as an industry is as plain as day and we continue to raise prices. I just don't see how this model can sustain itself.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Haven't subscribed in a year. Don't miss it at all. Why should I? I'm not all that interested in the local stuff (no ties to the sommunity, just being held hostage here) and on the occasions I do, I can log onto the website and get anything I want for free.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Tell you what, Mark2010, I'll take your "held hostage" job and you can have my unemployment check. Douchebag.

That said, going up *that* much on circulation is yet another troubling sign of the times. Slapster, you are there so late most nights you can just swipe a fresh one, no? :)

RB

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This exact same paper came off the list price by about a third when we threatened not to renew a month or two ago, and not because we were doing much haggling either. Call them up.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Aren't you a journalist?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mate, there is no job right now, except for some freelance stuff. I'm in the same boat you are.

What I am referring to is that I moved to this God-forsaken place almost two years ago to take a job, got laid off and am sort of stuck here until I can find something else, somewhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted