1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My least favorite lede cliche

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Nov 16, 2006.

1. LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Marchello Vealy and his Oral Roberts teammates went into Allen Fieldhouse with one goal.

"We wanted to come out and shock the world tonight," Vealy said, "and we did it."
    -
    Is this ever actually true? "He came in with only one thing in mind: a knockout." "All summer, he dreamed about one thing and one thing only: winning the championship." ONE thing? Are you sure? That was all that was in his brain all summer? I'm pretty sure Mr. Vealy and company had goals other than Win in a game against the 3-ranked team.

Finally, it's bad enough when a writer prominently features a "one goal" quote. Way worse is when the writer invents the "one goal" thing himself.

Anyway.

2. It's the fuckin' AP. Every single lead is a trite, patethic cliche.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I want energetic ledes, I read minorleaguenews.com.

(Where have you been Shadoes?) :D :D :D

4. Nahhh...they're not ALL bad...

They all reek of APLedeness, but some are creative within the inherent bounds of that format.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It depends on the writer. I'm sure the writing talent in New York, Chicago or L.A. is a bit better than Lawrence, Kan.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

There were two cliches in that snippet. The thing is, I didn't even know the game took place, and I didn't see it mentioned once on CNN. So I don't think they shocked the world.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was shocked to learn there's a school named after gay guys named Bob. ::) ;D

8. I only had one thing on my mind when I woke up: posting on SportsJournalists.com.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From Sunday:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ Just call him Patient Peyton.
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) _ Just call the Chicago Bears the best team in the NFC

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Welcome to ... anything. That one loses me.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was thinking this was going to be about ``What a difference a (day, month, year) makes.''

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

"What a difference a year/week makes" should never make print also was what I was thinking, da man.

Draft saved Draft deleted