1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My First Rifle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 8, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lucky bastards, aren't they? Completely immune to stereotyping.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They have cool music.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't go blaming me for your mistake!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My grade school had mandatory hunter's safety for boys in fifth grade... This was in California, not Texas...

I got a rifle when I was 11, went hunting once, hated it... I don't understand the appeal on any level, but a lot of people who I really like and respect enjoy it...

5. YankeeFan

Which "culture" is more fascinated with guns, and more likely to use them in a crime?

But, folks here would never look down upon the entire African-American community (in Chicago or elsewhere) as a result.

The "white trash" "hillbilly" stereotype of white, rural Americans has thrived on this board for years.

I've even heard prominent folks talk of people who, "cling to their guns and religion."

6. Dick Whitman

Guns should be banned for children 10 and under.

If it saves one life, it's worth it.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I erred in failing to point out YF's mistaken implication ... :D

8. Dick Whitman

I would say that the white, rural culture is more fascinated with guns, but that the black, inner-city culture is more likely to use them in a crime.

9. YankeeFan

Rifle Teams used to be common in American high schools:

[​IMG]

And, of course military schools still have them:

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with teaching youngsters how to responsibly use a firearm.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't know. I've never heard white rural america singing about "bustin a cap" into a cop

11. Dick Whitman

This is going to seem like a really fine distinction, but I think it's a real one:

Rural, white American gun owners, generally, are interested in the guns themselves. They enjoy guns. Shooting guns. Buying guns. Collecting guns. Modifying guns. Urban, black American gun owners, and in particular those involved in the drug trade, are interested in what they can actually do with the guns - namely enforce their business interests. If they could better enforce those interests with a knife or a sling shot, they would.

12. YankeeFan

They've become status symbols too.

Draft saved Draft deleted