1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My First Rifle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 8, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Local NY station WABC had an eye opening investigative report on marketing of rifles
    to kids. Reporter went undercover to Walmart to show how easy it is to buy
    a pink Daisy rifle.

Just don't see how any responsible parent would buy a gun for their 8 year old.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/investigators&id=9093575

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As strange as this may sound, I'm almost less troubled by hunting rifles marketed to children - I realize that it's a way of life in some rural and Great Plains communities - than I am by some of the toy gun marketing I see in the kids' aisles at Meijer and Wal-Mart. I know that actual guns can do actual damage. On the other hand, I think that some of the marketing messages - essentially that war is a blast, no pun intended - can possibly have more damaging long-term effects on a person's psychological development. You should see some of the images on these toys.

3. Dick Whitman

This is not even very realistic compared to some of the others I've seen:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dick Whitman

[​IMG]

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just about every kid I grew up with had some sort of gun. Usually got their first at around age 7, 8, or 9. My one nephew is 7 and he's been hunting several times with my brother, who I believe has given him his first gun already. Maybe two. Then again, my brother takes the necessary precautions to make sure the kid can't get his hands on it any time he wants.

I didn't own my first gun until a few years ago, though.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could lose an eye with that thing

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I grew up shooting squirrels out of my grandmother's pecan orchard with an old Marlin .22. My grandfather instructed me on safety rules I follow to this day. He also showed me how to shoot, finding a little spot on the squirrel (like "aim small, miss small on the "Patriot") and fire away. Great gun and accurate like you can't imagine. With those old iron sights, I did a lot of damage to the squirrel population on the Gulf Coast.

I still hate squirrels to this day. And yes, I miss that Marlin .22. Great gun.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

More guns in the hands of Americans, yet gun crime is down:

What's up is suicide, with 60% of gun homicides being suicides.

9. Dick Whitman

I hope you aren't implying causation.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think he is. But those statistics certainly belie commonly held views about how making firearms easier to purchase makes Americans more vulnerable to gun violence.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I got my first BB gun for Christmas when I was 8. I got my first shotgun (.410) for Christmas when I was 10. I don't remember when I got my first .22, but it was about the same time when a great uncle died. I was taught safety and how to use them. Guns aren't the problem. Irresponsible people are.

12. Dick Whitman

No, they don't. And you, of all people, know that.

Draft saved Draft deleted