1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first job interview tomorrow morning....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not tricky. Give him an honest answer. If you're covering preps, tell them in five years you'd hope to be covering juco or small college or major college ball in five years. Maybe, with some luck, the pros.
    You could be a smart ass and say I hope to be working in this business. With a hearty laugh and smile, that answer could win you the job.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It depends on the job, Drip.

If you apply for a copy editor position and you say you'd like to be covering a major-college beat, that's not good. Editors don't want wanna-be writers on the copy desk.

If you apply for a desk job and say you want to be sports editor in five years, that's awkward.

Depends on the job. Writing jobs are pretty easy. There is a natural progression.

With some other jobs, the progression isn't so linear -- or the person in line might be the one interviewing you.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh, without a doubt there's no question that your answer depends on the gig. I was just giving an example.

4. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Thanks guys. Is it normal to get an email from the coach I interviewed asking for the story to be "positive" and "uplifting." I sent him back: All I can do is report the news. I have a feeling, though, this isn't a one-time thing.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Not an unusual request, although I never got one in an e-mail per se. It would usually be at the beginning or end of the interview.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"I hope to still be learning, and improving, in five years as throughout my career. I want to also be helping those less experienced than myself learn. Most of all, I hope I'm an integral part of this team in five years."

Blah blah blah.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I mean, it is, I'm thinking...unless you're just a power-hungry asshole who wants to alienate anyone around you. It's just really VAGUE. I am still learning, every day, 11 years into my career. I do hope I'm teaching in some ways too. And I definitely want to be part of the desk team instead of some lone warrior.

It's just a really really REALLY vague answer.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

ALWAYS wear your best suit. Err on the side of too conservative in colors. Make sure your shoes are not worn out, are polished well and are comfortable.

Brush your teeth. Skip the cologne. Either be clean shaven or have a mustache or beard neatly trimmed. Get a haircut or have your hair neatly trimmed. Make sure your hands are clean, especially your nails.

Read the paper. Once, twice, thrice. Make sure you know something about the paper, about the town, about the history. Ask questions. Lots and lots of questions.

Be prepared to answer questions about gaps in work history. What have you been doing between graduation and now? Pay close attention to the staff.

Above all, relax! I know you're going to be nervous, but relax. Sometimes, if you're relaxed, you'll put your interviewer at ease.

9. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

CTRL+A
    CTRL+C
    Open new Word document
    CTRL+S
    "How to prepare for every interview"
    ENTER
    CRTL+X

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

CTRL+V?

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Pretty much.

Extremely important to pay attention to the staff and the paper. Show an interest. Knowing as much as possible will only help.

12. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Nah, I use Linux - it knew what I was trying to do and did it for me. But yes, on Windows or Mac: CTRL+V.

I go in for the "final" interview tomorrow at 11am - cross your fingers guys!

Draft saved Draft deleted