1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first job interview tomorrow morning....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I offer this:

I worked at daily newspapers from Sept. 1983 through Sept. 3, 2008. Since then I've applied for about 200 full- or part-time jobs. I've had seven interviews. I made the final three for two jobs that had a ton of interest. I'm still unemployed.

A job is not just a job.

Good luck.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I think the problem a lot of the laid off veterans have is that most of the papers still hiring are the community dailies.

And the community dailies still want young folks for whatever reason.

Every hire we've made in Podunk in the last two years has been 27 or younger, except for one.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

I disagree -- slightly -- on the money issue. Don't bring it up early, but don't be afraid to ask that question at the end. There will probably come a point where, after what seems like an endless inquisition, the editor asks if you have anything left to ask. At that point, it's OK to ask about the salary and benefits. You do have a right to know at least what the ballpark range would be.

Also, brush up on AP style and grammar in case they hit you with an editing test.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Haven't read up on the thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth:

Go to the paper's Web site and read up on the current events going on around town. Maybe drop a name during your interview. For instance, "I saw that the Dairy Queen burned down" ... "What do you think of Coach Blowhard - the new head football/basketball/volleyball/etc. coach?" ... "Is Joe Dipshit as tough a city commish as he seems in the paper?"

Always ask for a few copies of the past days' papers.

If you are asked how you would respond in a situation, try to come up with times where you DID respond in that situation (positive ones, of course). For example: "How would you deal with an irate parent over the phone?" Ans: "When I was in college, this kid was pretty upset about something I wrote about him and I ..." or "When I was working at McDonald's, I had this one customer ..."

Other than that, good luck.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wear your best shoes. Always my single best piece of advice.

And make sure you have a firm handshake, look folks in the eye and smile.

People do pay attention.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This advice, particularly parts A and B, applies to just about any situation.

7. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I learned that at 14. I was told never, EVER, to forget it. I haven't and I think it has helped a lot. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and the advice. Every bit helps in this market. I'll try and showcase my skills and outline what I can offer the paper.

And I hope it didn't feel like I was "stickin it" to any vets by saying I am being brought in for a job interview. I respect you guys and all of the hard work you have put it into this industry - with out your great writing there wouldn't be openings anywhere because people would have stopped reading papers all together.

If any one else has any words of wisdom, I'm all ears.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't too late, but here are some do's:

It's a reporting/writing job. Walk in the door with 8-10 story ideas and be prepared to talk about them. Look for an opening in the interview to bring them up.

Be prepared to take some kind of test. They might give you a set of facts and tell you to write 300 words. Or, they might want see if you can spot grammar mistakes on a a copy editing test. The thinking is that if you can spot them in something you didn't write, you'll be less likely to have them in something you did write.

I went on my state department of labor website and found some sample interview questions. Take some of those, and be prepared to answer them. Even if the specific questions don't come up, you'll be thinking along these lines and less likely to be caught off guard.

A couple of questions I had on a recent interview: How do you handle conflict with a coworker? And, where do you see yourself in five years? Those are two pretty good non-job-specific questions, and they have purpose. Conflicts do happen. And they'd like to know if you're a person with a plan or a warm body looking for any job.

Good luck.

9. novelist_wannabe

Another thought: I'm assuming you know this, but be clean an odor-free. Brush your teeth. And think seriously about skipping the cologne.

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

No Aqua Velva?

11. novelist_wannabe

If your research of this job uncovered that the hiring manager cannot resist Aqua Velva, by all means, go for it. Otherwise, the risk/reward equation is not in your favor.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's all about the Benjamins.

Draft saved Draft deleted