1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my first furlough day...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I didn't read it that way at all, he's just relaying his own experience. Nothing wrong with that.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

wasn't looking for ideas on how to kill idle time. simply wanted to share my own tale of woe. i know everyone in the biz is going through similar stuff. sorry if it came off as feeling like my situation is worse then anyone else's.

i just wanted to share.

see, i cherish this place more than any of you will ever appreciate and seek a shoulder every once and again from the folks who best understand how blessed i've been to have a career in this biz for more than 30 years. how lucky i have been to do what i honestly LOVE to do for so long. only to have it break my heart several times in the last five year or so.

lend me a shoulder, tell me to suck it up, whatever. it's late on a monday night and wanted to share. thanks for listening.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How sad that anyone here could be so nasty about someone else's bad fortune, and their need to talk about it among colleagues.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shoulder's right here, bud... our turn will come and you'll be there for us too...

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Wfw. I didn't mean to be insensitive or rude in my first post and apologize if I came off that way.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks to all offering a shoulder. to the others i've offended along the way, well, i'm not sure what i'm apologizing for -- i certainly intended no offense.

but please understand i feel like a wuss to even offer up any apology on this one. i surely hope to lend more of a sympathetic ear whenever y'all need one.

have a great day.... :D :D :D

p.s.: you will be relieved to know i will not post "furlough threads" on my next nine days. ;) ;) ;)

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I don't understand the vitriol flying in Shockey's direction either. Frankly, we all share things in which some people aren't interested, but in chatting about his furlough, I suppose Shockey was looking for a little camaraderie, a little community.

And isn't that what many SportsJournalists.commers profess this to be? A community of kindred spirits.

Christ's sake, the guy just lost a day's pay. Sure enough, it's tough for a lot of people out there. Commiserate, support ... don't cut one of your own down.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Don't ever post again on this site. This is the greatest, and truest, thing I've ever read here. None shall ever top this.

We may never meet, hell, we probably won't know if we ever cross paths, but I'm going to buy you a beer someday for this.

Thank you. That's really all I can say. :)

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Geez, this is like a text-based episode of Three's Company -- a ridiculous misunderstanding.

Someone came on to express how weird it was to have a forced unpaid day. Someone else said (or at least clearly meant), "Hey, it sucks but at least try to make the most of it by doing something that makes you happy." Perfectly innocuous. And it turned into this?

Too many people, and too many threads, are turning to "my misery is worse than yours" arguments lately.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Shock: My first day will be Saturday... and I have no clue what I will be doing.

Misery loves company, buddy... we're all with you.

Hang in there.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Many of ther responses here tell me a lot of people have no idea about shockey's physical condition or background in this business -- although he has made it abundantly clear through many posts..
    I feel for him and all of my friends at his paper who will either get a one day furlough for 10 consecutive weeks or two five-day furloughs.
    And those who think he and everyone at his paper, people with kids in college etc., haven't counted on that annual bonus -- that somehow has surived this long -- as part of their expected compensation, don't understand the situation at all.

Shockey, my friend, hang in there. I know for all you have gone through, you'll get through this as well.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ditto... hang in there, shockey. You're one of the good ones.

I am lucky, and will be able to work for my sister during the week I have off at the end of May. I will be able to to make up for my lost income with some under-the-table cash, visit family and enjoy the hell out of Memorial Day weekend.

I know not many are as fortunate, but I tried my best to make the most of a bad situation and came up with a plan I think turns this lemon into some lemonade.

My heart goes out to all of us who are forced to go on furlough... and I know this is probably just the beginning.

Good luck and best wishes to all...

Draft saved Draft deleted