1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My fear of the dentist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 7, 2011.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wisdom teeth were pulled when I was 17. They made me loopy and I didn't feel a thing in the chair. Sore as hell for a week afterward, though.

Regular dentist visits, I do always need a swab of the anesthetic before a filling or cleaning, but I'm fine after that. I try to tough it out every time, but I never make it once they get to my front teeth. Gums are just too sensitive; not much I can do about that.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hate the anesthesia more than the drilling.

If I could keep from flinching, I wouldn't have any.

Inevitably, I end up chewing a hole in one of my cheeks before I can tell my nose from my chin.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I went to the dentist years back and thought, "I don't need that stupid happy gas." So I fill out the paperwork and check "No" in the appropriate spot. Figured I'd tough it out. Well, while I've had needles jabbed into me thousands of times (make whatever jokes you want), I DO NOT LIKE needles or any kind of metal objects near my teeth or gums. Never knew that because I'd spent my youth and early adulthood completely beaned up at the dentist. After not more than 10 seconds of this particular dentist visit, I grabbed whatever implement was being used, sat up and asked, "Can I change the paperwork?" I was allowed to, the gas was turned on and the next 45 minutes were quite enjoyable. Of course, it felt like six hours, and that made it even better.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I get migraines, so the dentist is nothing special. If it hurts, I just use the same relaxation techniques I use to for migraines to minimize pain.

5. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Blowjobs?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just had a root canal two weeks ago and while the actual procedure wasn't too painful, his whole mind-fuckery regarding post-op medication drove me nuts.

"You're going to want to take four Advil as soon as this is done."

"And what after that?"

"Four."

"For how long?"

"Maybe you should take three. No scratch that, here's a prescription for Tylenol 3 with Codine."

Two days later, the pain was so bad I broke out into a cold sweat and passed out (slept) for like 10 hours. I then went with the first option and popped four Advil at a time every three or four hours for the next few days.

This same dentist also fucked up my jaw once extracting a tooth. Had to get muscle relaxers and a bite splint to correct it. It still gives me problems about once a year.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Had wisdom teeth pulled at 18 and had the gas. If there's a cavity, usually need two shots. But I go twice a year and there's no fear, but I understand those who dread it.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't mind going to the dentist for a regular cleaning.
    However when it comes to having a cavity filled or other dental work, the topical anesthetic they put on before using the harpoon-sized needle to give the novocain shot does nothing to minimize how much that f**ker hurts.
    If it's a cavity I ask if it can be done without the novocain. I'll take the discomfort of the drill over the pain of the shot any day of the week (then again that might have something to do with my needlephobia).

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I am absolutely with you on this, TBF. I have had to have up to 12 shots to numb me in the past, and despite a mouthful of cracked and broken teeth I pretty much can't bring myself to go back any time soon. The last time I went in for an emergency, the lady dentist had to stand on a stool to get enough leverage to pull a back tooth. She ended up breaking it, and cracking the adjacent one in the process. Joy.

Quite a few years ago I kicked a large piece of equipment next to the chair and broke it. That taught the dentist to be more careful with those shots.

Only thing that might have ever hurt worse was getting multiple shots in a fingertip.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

My dentist originally learned dental assisting when he was in the Army before dental school, and he's the best dentist I've ever had. He just doesn't F up and he doesn't F around. He seems to understand that it's important and that people often don't like being there. I don't like going, of course, but I recently went after not going for two years, and the impact was enough to remind me that it's better to suffer a little every six months with a cleaning than to get fillings or whatever every year or two.

11. mb

mb Active Member

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure my dentist offers to knock you out for pretty much any procedure. Might see if your guy would be willing to put you down for a few next time you go.

12. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I had to go last week for two fillings. Thankfully, they were side by side, because I can't imagine having that pain on both sides of my face. It was awful. TBF, did they have to drill fairly deep? That's what my dentist said was the reason it hurt so intensely.

I came home vowing to brush more, use more mouthwash and floss more regularly, because I do not ever want to go through that again.

Incidentally, after college, I didn't go to the dentist for roughly 10 years. When I finally had to because I cracked my front tooth, I was worried they'd make me feel pretty stupid for not having gone for so long. They didn't make a big deal of it at all (it probably helped that my teeth were in relatively good shape, with only one cavity). I definitely appreciate how they handled that.

Draft saved Draft deleted