1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Favorite Sports Article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Md Reynolds, May 7, 2018.

1. Md Reynolds

Md Reynolds New Member

My favorite article is "Pure Heart" by William L. Nack in Sports Illustrated. I am posting a link to it at the end. I have read it more times than I like to admit as it is the best example of sports writing I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

The article begins with the jolting description of the death of Secretariat and is followed by the writer's days of following the career of the horse which is detailed in his book, "Secretariat: The Making Of A Champion." Even though most of us know what is going to happen, Nack details his days of shadowing the chestnut legend from his prep races for the Kentucky Derby until his death in a way that only Nack, with his capacity for perfection, could.

The writer passed away last month but his work is left for us to enjoy and study as the height of journalistic promise.

Pure Heart

Nick Costa likes this.
  2. Nick Costa

Nick Costa New Member

3. Nick Costa

Nick Costa New Member

Thank you Md Reynolds for providing the link. It is pure joy to read Nack's 'Pure Heart' over and over again.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My favourite is still "Resurrecting the Champ" by JR Moehringer.

Resurrecting The Champ

This was a hugely important story to me and my career. One of those stories that teaches you what's possible.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The first one I thought of. By Wright Thompson and his search for finding Jim Robinson, who fought and got knocked out by Muhammed Ali in one round in 1961.

OTL: Shadow Boxing

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted